Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 28 Aug '09 00:51
    This is a continuation of Thread 117915.

    Our 41. ... Ng2 was met by 42.Nb5.

    Here is the position with black to move:



    Here is the complete game.

  2. 28 Aug '09 01:17
    I think running the h pawn wins. If white's king attacks our rook, we can abandon the rook and get a Q. If he sends his rook down to e2 to intercept the h pawn, we play h3. If he does not play Rf2, d2 or c2 or b2 or a2, we play h2, losing the knight but getting a Q. If he does move the rook to one of the other 2nd rank squares, we play Rc2, he plays R to a 1st rank square. We play Re6. He plays Rh1 and we play Nf4. Now we maneuver the rook and knight to protect and promote the h pawn leading, most likely, to white exchanging his rook for our h pawn since it is our two pieces to his one in the battle for the h pawn. That should do it.
  3. 28 Aug '09 01:47 / 2 edits
    42...Ra6 perhaps should have played this a few moves back instead of ...Ra5 the point is to maneuver our rook to e1 to parry 43.Rd8 44.Rd1 and it prevents Nd6.
  4. 28 Aug '09 02:08
    The only piece that he has that can stop the h pawn from promoting is his knight. How about trading his knight for our rook, then running the h pawn?
  5. 28 Aug '09 02:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The only piece that he has that can stop the h pawn from promoting is his knight. How about trading his knight for our rook, then running the h pawn?
    First, his rook CAN stop our pawn. Second, after 43.axb5 h4 44.Re7 Kg8 45.Rxa7 h3 46.b6 h2 47.b7 h1(Q) 48.b8(Q)+ Kg7 49.Qe5+ and mate in two more. Oh and third, he doesn't need to STOP our pawn he just needs to postpone it so that he can promote sooner.
  6. 28 Aug '09 02:25
    Originally posted by ParShooter
    I think running the h pawn wins. If white's king attacks our rook, we can abandon the rook and get a Q. If he sends his rook down to e2 to intercept the h pawn, we play h3. If he does not play Rf2, d2 or c2 or b2 or a2, we play h2, losing the knight but getting a Q. If he does move the rook to one of the other 2nd rank squares, we play Rc2, he plays R to ...[text shortened]... r h pawn since it is our two pieces to his one in the battle for the h pawn. That should do it.
    The problem with that is that he has a pawn he can promote too... better to nip his rook ever getting to h1 in the bud.
  7. 28 Aug '09 02:42
    OK Tomtom, no need to get pissy. I was just throwing it out there as a thought.
  8. 28 Aug '09 02:48
    Originally posted by Eladar
    OK Tomtom, no need to get pissy. I was just throwing it out there as a thought.
    I.... wasn't.... I was addressing your idea and showing why it was flawed at the moment. It may still come in handy later.
  9. 28 Aug '09 03:23
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    The problem with that is that he has a pawn he can promote too... better to nip his rook ever getting to h1 in the bud.
    The c pawn? If it is a foot race, we win. Our promoted Q can give check on d1 and then do a check fork on the c-file to grab white's c pawn on the 7th rank.

    White has a problem getting to h1. e1 is covered by our knight. He has to go to e2, move laterally, move down to the 1st rank and then move to h1. That's a lot of moves to get to h1.
  10. Standard member ptobler
    Patzer
    28 Aug '09 03:41
    Looks like the choice is probably between 42...Ra6 and 42...h4
  11. 28 Aug '09 04:05 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by ParShooter
    The c pawn? If it is a foot race, we win. Our promoted Q can give check on d1 and then do a check fork on the c-file to grab white's c pawn on the 7th rank.

    White has a problem getting to h1. e1 is covered by our knight. He has to go to e2, move laterally, move down to the 1st rank and then move to h1. That's a lot of moves to get to h1.
    you said maneuver our rook and knight to advance the pawn. While we are maneuvering he will promote his pawn, and getting to h1 takes three moves. Rd8-d1-h1 and now our pawn is held up indefinitely especially if its on h3 because then the knight is stuck on f4 defending it and can't chase the rook away.
  12. 28 Aug '09 06:55
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    42...Ra6 perhaps should have played this a few moves back instead of ...Ra5 the point is to maneuver our rook to e1 to parry 43.Rd8 44.Rd1 and it prevents Nd6.
    After 42...Ra6, can't white just play 43.Re2 ?
  13. 28 Aug '09 10:46
    Originally posted by jheikki
    After 42...Ra6, can't white just play 43.Re2 ?
    ...kicking our N away from g2, while 42...h4 would allow us to keep it there and then manoeuvre our R to e1, if white R goes to the 1st rank.
  14. 28 Aug '09 10:50 / 1 edit
    ... Ra6 is the solid option, ... h4 is the kind of stuff you have to go through if you want to win (or lose)

    Addendum: I don't think 42. ... h4 is handy, on account of 43. Rd8 h3 44. Rd1 Ra6 (? for example) 45. Rh1 Nf4 46. c4, and White is the one playing for the win and not Black. 42. ... Ra6 43. Re2 does not worry Black as he can activate his Knight while the pawn is steadily waiting on h5 to come in action at a more appropriate moment.
  15. 28 Aug '09 12:08
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    ... Ra6 is the solid option, ... h4 is the kind of stuff you have to go through if you want to win (or lose)

    Addendum: I don't think 42. ... h4 is handy, on account of 43. Rd8 h3 44. Rd1 Ra6 (? for example) 45. Rh1 Nf4 46. c4, and White is the one playing for the win and not Black. 42. ... Ra6 43. Re2 does not worry Black as he can activate his Knight while the pawn is steadily waiting on h5 to come in action at a more appropriate moment.
    another one on board. This refutation of ...h4 is the reason I vote for ...Ra6.