Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 14 Jul '09 15:30
    Some people think that in a game pawns are not important pieces on a board but in the end of the game they are crutal especially at the end of the game why because of promotion I mean which one is better being cornered or being in control with 2 queens and 2 rucks!
  2. 14 Jul '09 16:53
    very interesting!
  3. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    14 Jul '09 17:01
    I wish I had two rucks!
  4. Standard member orion25
    Art is hard
    14 Jul '09 18:39
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    I wish I had two rucks!
    yeah that would rock
  5. 14 Jul '09 21:21
    Ruck ro!
  6. 14 Jul '09 21:46
    Pawns are the soul of chess.
  7. 14 Jul '09 21:51
    Rucks are the Punk Rookers of Chess,
  8. 15 Jul '09 01:36
    I've been told that I consistantly blunder away my pawns. I'm certainly glad that I still win from time to time. I guess it's because the people I play kind of suck too.

We all suck. I blame the ruks!
  9. Standard member Eric LeFavour
    The guy
    15 Jul '09 02:12
    If they are from Canada, are they carucks?

Pawns are the foundation of your army. No pawns, no foundation. Thats just my opinion though.
  10. Standard member vatiquette
    Light Square Bishop
    15 Jul '09 07:47
    no ruck sac then ..
  11. 15 Jul '09 12:49 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Eric LeFavour
    If they are from Canada, are they carucks?

Pawns are the foundation of your army. No pawns, no foundation. Thats just my opinion though.
    But what about when one of those footsoldiers gets in the way of the big artillery - or when they prevent your king from effectively escaping an attack?

an interesting version of chess would allow you to exterminate your own pieces.
  12. Standard member orion25
    Art is hard
    15 Jul '09 13:03
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    But what about when one of those footsoldiers gets in the way of the big artillery - or when they prevent your king from effectively escaping an attack?

an interesting version of chess would allow you to exterminate your own pieces.
    yeah kamikase chess
  13. Subscriber AttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    15 Jul '09 14:12
    Pawns are the skeleton of the battlefield terrain. Every pawn move changes the make-up of the battlefield. So a pawn move must be carefully considered because it alters the whole field of play. I think a GM will spend more time on average considering the consequences of a pawn move than a piece move.