1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    15 Dec '11 23:35
    as in, through spoken or written annotation alone...

Do any of them ever play chess without a board just for kicks? It would be cool as hell to play games while you're doing other mundane tasks, like driving or brushing your teeth. These people can just look at each other and be like, "E4" then "C6" etc.
  2. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    15 Dec '11 23:37
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper

Do any of them ever play chess without a board just for kicks? It would be cool as hell to play games while you're doing other mundane tasks, like driving or brushing your teeth. These people can just look at each other and be like, "E4" then "C6" etc.
    Yes. A good friend of mine and myself used to play while fishing. Eventually to much drinking lead to us forgetting where we were at. But typically we could finish a few games before that time. The worst is when there is a disagreement about the moves played.

Loser had to clean the fish. (Which wasn't always a big threat....)

Q
  3. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 01:03
    It is not so hard if you have played chess seriously enough.
    This might count as cheating, as I did have sight of a bare board which makes things easier but 20 years ago I gave a 6 board simul against 6 clubmates with average rating of 2000 and scored 3 wins, 2 draws and a loss. (played e4, d4 and Nf3 in my 3 white games to make sure they were all very different!)
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 08:17
    IMHO it doesn't take a great chess player to play blind... playing chess well and playing blind are two completely different skills as I can play chess blind just as well as I play OTB but I play chess 2D worse.... I should set up a board or play with my eyes closed on here if I really wanted a better rating but something really attracts me to CC... It could be my affinity towards Purdy who was once a world CC champion.
  5. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 12:21
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper

Yes blindfold chess is a very fascinating subject. I have dabbled in the past and although i can keep track of the pieces while following an annotated game things do get a bit hazy. Actually having to work out variations while playing another person though is a completely different prospect and extremely difficult.
    The grandmasters who play simultaneous blindfold games are quite amazing.

Paul Morphy was a tremendous exponent of the blindfold simul. certainly the best of his day. Here is one of my favourite Morphy blindfold games.
    It was played as one of 8 boards in Paris 1858 against Henri Baucher. Morphy's opponents were the among the strongest Paris had to offer

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree