Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member sbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    26 Jan '09 01:15
    I've noticed something odd and I was wondering if others have noticed it as well. There are certain players that I run into repeatedly in clan games and tournaments that I just cannot seem to beat, even though based on their ratings, I should be able to win at least some of the time. It's like I have my own private cadre of archnemeses.

    It's likely a combination of playing style and psychology, but if a player has beaten me let's say four games in a row, I go into the next game assuming he's going to beat me again and it's like it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I find myself rarely looking beyond the next move because I'm thinking what's the use? I expect the loss and in doing so frequently generate it regardless of the opponent's actual skill.

    Is this common or is it just me? Any suggestions on how to overcome this?

    Thanks,
    Steve
  2. 26 Jan '09 01:41
    I'd suggest studying your old games and finding out where you screwed up. It could be that their opening and your opening give them the advantage. It could be that their style of play bothers you. They could be patient and you attack too soon. They could be aggressive and you stress out. Figure out what's going on and make corrections.
  3. 26 Jan '09 01:43
    it's called The Indian Sign

    Never heard of it affecting corres players before but OTB it's very common.

    Expect players will come on here and tell of you of a player they
    simply cannot beat even though he losses to everyone they can beat.

    I had 9-0 and 8-0 wins v two players and one guy I'm 0-5 against me.

    I even travelled one night to his club (15 miles aways) armed with
    a set and a clock to see if I could beat him just once at 5 minute chess.
    (this was years ago when I ultra keen).

    He never turned up
    True story. his name is I.C. Robertson (Dunfermline).

    OTB there is no known cure - some players just tune into other
    players thoughts. It's a simple as that.

    Here it is different. You are not staring at him over the board.

    You can do the swizzle.

    If he is White and plays 1.d4 then challenge the strongest player
    you can and play 1.d4.
    What ever the strong guy plays you reply back to your Nemesis.
    When he replies you play that move v the strong guy.
    and so on and so on.

    That way you are not playing him, the strong guy is

    The bad news: If the strong player is using a box then you will
    both get banned.
  4. Standard member sbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    26 Jan '09 01:55
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    You can do the swizzle.

    If he is White and plays 1.d4 then challenge the strongest player
    you can and play 1.d4.
    What ever the strong guy plays you reply back to your Nemesis.
    When he replies you play that move v the strong guy.
    and so on and so on.

    That way you are not playing him, the strong guy is

    The bad news: If the strong player is using a box then you will
    both get banned.
    That's very helpful, thanks! Essentially I'd be channeling a more powerful player. That does sound a bit like cheating, though, even if the more powerful player wasn't using an engine.

    One other odd thing I've noticed is the more chatting I do with players, the less likely I am to beat them, especially if it's somebody I've come to like. I have a harder time playing well against somebody I think of as a friend. Perhaps I could use your idea of channeling a stronger player as a way of setting aside my feelings of friendship. Kind of a what would greenpawn do? Kick his butt even if he is your pal.

    Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated,
    Steve
  5. Standard member sbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    26 Jan '09 01:58
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I'd suggest studying your old games and finding out where you screwed up. It could be that their opening and your opening give them the advantage. It could be that their style of play bothers you. They could be patient and you attack too soon. They could be aggressive and you stress out. Figure out what's going on and make corrections.
    I think it's more mindset than it is tactical. I know what I did wrong the second I do it...or more correctly, the second after I hit Submit Move.

    I do tend to play too quickly though, you're correct in that. I need to slow down and channel my inner Goliath.

    Thanks for the advice,
    Steve
  6. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    26 Jan '09 02:02
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    it's called [b]The Indian Sign

    Never heard of it affecting corres players before but OTB it's very common.

    Expect players will come on here and tell of you of a player they
    simply cannot beat even though he losses to everyone they can beat.

    I had 9-0 and 8-0 wins v two players and one guy I'm 0-5 against me.

    I even travelled one ...[text shortened]... s

    The bad news: If the strong player is using a box then you will
    both get banned. [/b]
    Great idea. Must try it. Only you could do it agains two players who are both muck stronger than you, and you would be gauranteed at least one win, or two draws. I kinnda doubt this is legal though.
  7. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    26 Jan '09 02:14
    Here you go: YouTube
  8. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    26 Jan '09 02:16
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    The bad news: If the strong player is using a box then you will
    both get banned.
    you'd get banned even if he didn't. consulting 3rd party.


    I had a guy I couldn't beat even though he was slightly lower rated. on the 4th game I realized he wasn't playing for a win, but instead just tried to stiffle everything. and when I naturally tried to force an attack, I had to give him something and it was soon over.

    but once I realized what he was doing, it was a piece of cake.
  9. Standard member Nowakowski
    10. O-O
    26 Jan '09 05:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    it's called [b]The Indian Sign

    Never heard of it affecting corres players before but OTB it's very common.

    Expect players will come on here and tell of you of a player they
    simply cannot beat even though he losses to everyone they can beat.

    I had 9-0 and 8-0 wins v two players and one guy I'm 0-5 against me.

    I even travelled one s

    The bad news: If the strong player is using a box then you will
    both get banned. [/b]
    damn you wormwood. you were quicker.
    -GIN
  10. 26 Jan '09 09:02 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by sbacat
    That's very helpful, thanks! Essentially I'd be channeling a more powerful player. That does sound a bit like cheating, though, even if the more powerful player wasn't using an engine.
    that is cheating.

    edit:

    damn you wormwood. you were quicker.

    -DSK
  11. Standard member Nowakowski
    10. O-O
    26 Jan '09 09:13
    Originally posted by sbacat
    That's very helpful, thanks! Essentially I'd be channeling a more powerful player. That does sound a bit like cheating, though, even if the more powerful player wasn't using an engine.

    One other odd thing I've noticed is the more chatting I do with players, the less likely I am to beat them, especially if it's somebody I've come to like. I have a harder ti ...[text shortened]... ] Kick his butt even if he is your pal.

    Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated,
    Steve
    What would greenpawn do?

    For gods sake...make the WWGPD? shirt already!

    -GIN
  12. Standard member Crowley
    Not Aleister
    26 Jan '09 13:12
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    That way you are not playing him, the strong guy is
    Which would count as getting 3rd party help in a game, ie. cheating.

    I'm no chess master, but this seems pretty cut and dry to me.
  13. 26 Jan '09 14:14 / 2 edits
    It's not cheating.

    Swizzle is not mentioned in FAQ so it's OK.

    The fact you may have two indentical games in your games
    history is a pure coincidence.

    Whats the odds of two game repeating themselves. very good I'd say.

    I mean how many different positions can there possibly be after 30 moves?

    400, 500, 700? not much more than that.
  14. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    26 Jan '09 15:03
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    It's not cheating.

    Swizzle is not mentioned in FAQ so it's OK.

    The fact you may have two indentical games in your games
    history is a pure coincidence.

    Whats the odds of two game repeating themselves. very good I'd say.

    I mean how many different positions can there possibly be after 30 moves?

    400, 500, 700? not much more than that.
    The Terms of Service state ¨previously played games¨ which does not include in progress games. However swizzle isn´t specifically mentioned.

    You could go for a double swizzle and play your opponents moves against him. if he´s got enough in progress games (>500) then you could get him to play himself, and he may never know.
  15. 26 Jan '09 15:23
    The dreaded 'Double Swizzle' Deep Thought you are a genius.