1. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 21:051 edit
    Re: Korch

(I have to stop writing my response in the "Quoted Post" box)

I think Svidler's choice of using the Philidor against Leko in the rapid game was a practical decision, not a decision that indicates that Svidler believes that the Philidor gives equal or greater chances for Black when compared to, say, the Sicilian.

I agree that Bacrot equalised vs. Varga and Goliev by using the Philidor, but I believe he felt comfortable using the Philidor because his opponents were lower-rated and he felt he could outplay them in an opening they probably weren't expecting.

For now, I respectfully disagree that Black had an equal game in either Dreev-Azmaiparashvili or Polgar-Morozevich, but I realize that my analysis is certainly not immune to errors. Maybe if some of the contenders for the World Championship believe in this defence as strongly many players in this forum, we will be lucky enough to see a Philidor or two (maybe from Morozevich and Grischuk?) contested at the highest level.

--
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 21:312 edits
    I think Svidler's choice of using the Philidor against Leko in the rapid game was a practical decision, not a decision that indicates that Svidler believes that the Philidor gives equal or greater chances for Black when compared to, say, the Sicilian.
    I agree that it was practical choice, but if Philidor was not playable in GM level, then I dont think he would choose it.

I agree that Bacrot equalised vs. Varga and Goliev by using the Philidor, but I believe he felt comfortable using the Philidor because his opponents were lower-rated and he felt he could outplay them in an opening they probably weren't expecting.
    And how does it prove unsoundness of Philidor?

For now, I respectfully disagree that Black had an equal game in either Dreev-Azmaiparashvili or Polgar-Morozevich, but I realize that my analysis is certainly not immune to errors.
    Show how white could get better game. Otherwise these are only words.

Maybe if some of the contenders for the World Championship believe in this defence as strongly many players in this forum, we will be lucky enough to see a Philidor or two (maybe from Morozevich and Grischuk?) contested at the highest level.
    You are still repeating argument "if it is not popular then it not so good". And I will repeat myself and will advice you to read discussion in Thread 70577 in which your argument is refuted.
  3. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 03:391 edit
    Originally posted by Korch

I agree that it was practical choice, but if Philidor was not playable in GM level, then I dont think he would choose it.

I said from the beginning the Philidor was playable. Why are you acting like I said otherwise? I said the Philidor is playable, but it is not "good" in the same way the Siclian, Caro Kann and double king-pawn openings were. I would place the Philidor above "bad" and put it in the "average" category.

And how does it prove unsoundness of Philidor?

When did I ever say the Philidor was unsound? I have never argued that. Please do not use a Straw Man argument against me.

Show how white could get better game. Otherwise these are only words.

Concerning the games Dreev-Azmaiparashvili and Polgar-Morozevich, I said I respectfully disagree that Black had equalized. I respect our differences of opinion on this subject. I would hope you could do the same. I hope that one day when we play, you will choose to defend the Philidor so that this may be explored. I am not in any way being sarcastic.

You are still repeating argument "if it is not popular then it not so good". And I will repeat myself and will advice you to read discussion in Thread 70577 in which your argument is refuted.

I don't see how my sincere anticipation of the possibility of Morozevich or Grischuk playing the Philidor against the highest possible competition at the World Championships in September can possibly equate to me saying "if the Philidor is not popular then it is not good." I would really like to see the Philidor trotted out so we can see how the world's best handle it when the stakes are highest.

My argument against the Philidor not being as good as the Sicilian or the Caro-Kann or the double king-pawn openings is that the Philidor doesn't have the dynamic potential for Black that these other openings do. My pointing out that the Philidor is a rare guest at major tournaments (say, Linares, Dortmund, Wijk aan Zee, World Championships) and is not found as the main 1.e4 defence in any top-twenty GMs repertoire is not an argument about the fickle winds of fashion. I am saying it is rare because it because it doesn't have the same dynamic potential for Black as other available choices, and that is why I say it is not "good".

I am not saying the Philidor is unsound, nor have I said that previously.

I am saying that on the scale of ( bad...average...good ) that the Philidor is not good. It is "average" (i discussed this in an earlier post). I would never recommend the Philidor as a main line defence to 1.e4. But that is not the same thing as me saying the Philidor is unplayable.

THE END.

--
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 06:39
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    ......I am saying it is rare because it because it doesn't have the same dynamic potential for Black as other available choices, and that is why I say it is not "good".
    Well in my opinion "doesn't have the same dynamic potential" and "not so good" are not the same. But its matter of taste.
  5. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 10:13
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    Yes, I would consider 2700+ or at least in the top-twenty of FIDE ratings to be a top GM.

Nispy's last four games with the Philidor (according to chessgames.com) is one game in 2006, and three games in 2004. I disagree that so few games would be considered as being "regularly" played, and I stand by my statement that no top GM uses the Philidor as his ...[text shortened]... rawn somewhere. I would put the Phildor in "average" and playable.

--
    The database at chessgames.com often lacks piles of games.

I don't care much about "dynamic chances"; what I do know, is that it is much easier to attain equality with the philidor than with the sicilian.
  6. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 18:00
    Originally posted by jacr100
    I'm always pretty happy when I see it as white. To help put you off, this was my last game against a Philidor user:
    Game 3609503
    18.Bf2+ would have ended it a move earlier

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree