1. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Jun '07 17:15
    Hey, guys! I was wondering what is your opinion on the Pirc Defence (1.e4 d6), whether you play it or not.
  2. back in business
    Moves
    29 Jun '07 17:22
    Play it. Without pirc defence I would not be where I am now (+2000 rating)
  3. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    29 Jun '07 17:551 edit
    Originally posted by badivan1
    Hey, guys! I was wondering what is your opinion on the Pirc Defence (1.e4 d6), whether you play it or not.
    I play it well as my main defense line. I don't go directly and fully into it though. If my opponent plays 1 e4, I go 1 d6 to stop a push. But whenever my opp moves to e4, I play d6. Otherwise I play 1 g7 to start it off.

The main idea of the pirc, in my opinion, is to undermine the center. You let white take the center and you eventually screw it up.

This game, though in progress, shows exactly how I play an off line of the Pirc.

Game 3161537

I usually like to play knight d7 to support e5, which is the idea that separates my opening (Whatever the name for it is...) from the Pirc.

The best response to something like the pirc probably is what ceders played in our game...but of that, I am not sure.

I don't believe it has too much theory either. Just as long as you have a solid plan for the game it should prevail well.
  4. London
    Moves
    29 Jun '07 18:00
    I love it and play it in all games against 1.e4 there is a player Motowndave on this site who is 2000+ and plays it a lot if you want to look through some high level games. The Austrian attack is the one to learn how to defend agains: 1.e4...d6, 2.d4...Nf6, 3.Nc3...g6, 4.f4 (this move makes it the Austrian although white has a few alternatives here, 4....Bg7, 5. Nf3...c5, 6.e5...Nfd7, 7. exd6...cxd4!? - anyway that's from a game Kramnik - Grischuk (Wijk aan Zee 2005)

You have to be sharp to avoid being cramped and crushed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree