1. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 10:20
    Hi guys,

I need some advice. I want to start playing a new opening against 1 e4, as I think I have reached some decent peak with my actual one(French defence) and I need a second option(to make opponent's opening preparation more difficult). As I think 1...e5 gives white too many options and that they are always prepared with something specific against sicilian so I would like some opening that doesn't have so much theory involved and that is playable...

What do you think about Pirc or Alehin ? Are they ok ? which one would you advice me to play ?
  2. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 11:051 edit
    I've played both of these openings when I was a beginner and thought that winning is solely based on openings, so I think my advice is sound.

Both Pirc and Alekhine are complicated and sound defences, however if you want to avoid too much theory you should stick with the Alekhine's defence. It will also prove instructional in more ways than one. Playing a hypermodern defence is never easy.
  3. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 18:27
    If you play the french why not take a look at the caro kahn as well?
  4. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 19:032 edits
    I'd advise against the carro-cann... I'd say, go sicillian instead of pirc, follow this: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 and try the najdorf or dragon. Since you play the french you might also be comfortable with a 2...e6 sicillian. you have to remember that complex isn't a bad thing... it is just as much a good thing too!
    EDIT: well, looking at your rating, maybe the pirc would be better at your level as your opponents would be well prepared for a sicillian.
  5. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 19:11
    The Pirc, it's solid and can be really fun, even when you have to be defensive. Kramnik used to play a version of it, and Kasparov hates it..mainly because whenever he tried the opening he would get smashed...sucker...anyway...just try both and whatever you like better keep
  6. London
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 20:19
    Originally posted by vipiu
    Hi guys,

I need some advice. I want to start playing a new opening against 1 e4, as I think I have reached some decent peak with my actual one(French defence) and I need a second option(to make opponent's opening preparation more difficult). As I think 1...e5 gives white too many options and that they are always prepared with something specific against sici ...[text shortened]... What do you think about Pirc or Alehin ? Are they ok ? which one would you advice me to play ?
    Pirc would be my recommendation...you can look up MotownDave on this site and go through some of his games..he is rated 2172 and almost always plays the pirc...
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 21:57
    Another option is to go ahead and play e5, but opt for the Petrov which keeps you away from Ruy Lopez, Guico Piano, etc, although it can transpose into the 4 knights game if white is a weenie.
  8. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 22:19
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Another option is to go ahead and play e5, but opt for the Petrov which keeps you away from Ruy Lopez, Guico Piano, etc, although it can transpose into the 4 knights game if white is a weenie.
    yeah, this is a great alternative if you don't play against weenies 😛
  9. Joined
    29 Sep '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 23:29
    would you recommend the pirc for a beginner like myself trying on a "I always play x against e4" defense for the first time? I'm playing it...but it seems like timing your counter play exactly is super crucial since you let white have his way in the center to start. Wondering if hypermodern is not appro for someone who never "mastered" a classical defense first...
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 23:32
    Originally posted by HeyDreza
    would you recommend the pirc for a beginner like myself trying on a "I always play x against e4" defense for the first time? I'm playing it...but it seems like timing your counter play exactly is super crucial since you let white have his way in the center to start. Wondering if hypermodern is not appro for someone who never "mastered" a classical defense first...
    Exactly right. Try something more basic, maybe 1...e5 or 1...d5 against 1.e4, an opening like the Pirc (which I use on occassion) is very, very difficult if you don't know when to make specific pawn breaks.
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 23:34
    Hi guys,

I need some advice. I want to start playing a new opening against 1 e4, as I think I have reached some decent peak with my actual one(French defence) and I need a second option(to make opponent's opening preparation more difficult). As I think 1...e5 gives white too many options and that they are always prepared with something specific against sici ...[text shortened]... What do you think about Pirc or Alehin ? Are they ok ? which one would you advice me to play ?
    1800 - Pirc seems good to me. But now that you're at that level I really feel like you need to consider playing something more mainstream - particularly 1...c5 or 1...e5. Sure, your opponents will be better prepared, but you'll also have better statistical chances. You're good enough now though that you can probably experiment with a lot of things and see what you think, consider the Dragon, Najdorf, Sveshnikov, Ruy Lopez, etc. and see if they don't fit what you're looking for.
  12. Joined
    05 Jun '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 23:40
    the huge advantage of the pirc is chances are your opponent has very little experience against it.

but, it is kinda complicated. i recommend the caro-kann, but if you study a lot the sicilian will work even against experienced opponents.

or, the scandinavian is always good if you play it well
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 23:42
    Originally posted by yofidawg
    the huge advantage of the pirc is chances are your opponent has very little experience against it.

but, it is kinda complicated. i recommend the caro-kann, but if you study a lot the sicilian will work even against experienced opponents.

or, the scandinavian is always good if you play it well
    I'm not a big Caro-Kann fan, white seems to have ample ways to attack it, although it's hard to break down for a win - very drawish. The Scandinavian with 3...Qd6 seems very interesting.
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 23:54
    Hi guys,

I've recently started experimenting with the Petrov defense (e4 ..e5, Nf3 ..Nf6) but i haven't found a suitable response to the KG. I've been trying out e4 ..e5, f4 ..Nf6 with the idea of playing Bc5 and developing this way. It has been played at master level but it doesn't score too well... Worth a little research though. I find the positions resulting from the standard petrov are really fun, black gets to throw some punches from the opening. 🙂
  15. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 00:27
    As a 1.e4 player 1...e6 is the one I least like to face.
    That's one tough nut to crack...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree