1. Joined
    05 Jun '07
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 00:30
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    As a 1.e4 player 1...e6 is the one I least like to face.
    That's one tough nut to crack...
    agreed! but, he does say he already plays the french and wants a backup defense, which is the topic we're discussing
  2. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 00:33
    Originally posted by yofidawg
    agreed! but, he does say he already plays the french and wants a backup defense, which is the topic we're discussing
    Yeah, but my point is he doesn't really need a backup if he plays the French well.
    If it ain't broke...

I suppose the C-K is the next most awkward defence for white & has much less theory than 1...c5.
  3. Joined
    05 Jun '07
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 00:44
    yep.

only really theoretical lines are the classical line (1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3) and the advance if black plays 3...Bf4 (i play 3...c5 instead with excellent results)
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 01:31
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I've recently started experimenting with the Petrov defense (e4 ..e5, Nf3 ..Nf6) but i haven't found a suitable response to the KG. I've been trying out e4 ..e5, f4 ..Nf6 with the idea of playing Bc5 and developing this way. It has been played at master level but it doesn't score too well... Worth a little research though. I find the positions resulting ...[text shortened]... om the standard petrov are really fun, black gets to throw some punches from the opening. 🙂
    Try the Falkbeer Counter gambit. I'm not even sure it's sound, but it's fun to play.
  5. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 07:27
    Yeah, but my point is he doesn't really need a backup if he plays the French well.
    If it ain't broke...

I suppose the C-K is the next most awkward defence for white & has much less theory than 1...c5.
    really, you need a backup...because in a OTB tournament it was preatty annoying when I played French in afirst game and got some drawish position...and again in a later game we have followed the first game(different opponent, of course) until move 13 or 14 and I lost later...as he was even better prepared...If you stick to some opening(and you prefer a special line in it), you make it easy for your opponents, because they can start preparing only from move 10 or so...Better players usually have a biger opening repertoire...
    Ok, I agree, maybe in ONE tournament you should stick to only one opening...but it is better to have extra options and I also think this would develop your general chess skill, new plans and new ideas in play.

By the way, I also know some Sveshnikov, I used to play it, but I found it a bit more difficult for me than French.
    And I hate 1 ...e5 🙂...all those gambits are preatty deadly in OTB if you are not accurate every single move. Of course, in RHP 1 ...e5 would be very playable for me, but I need the opening especially for OTB (because here I can play anything using a DB 🙂 )
  6. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 10:59
    As a 1.e4 player 1...e6 is the one I least like to face.
    That's one tough nut to crack...
    whaaaaa? I love when people play the French...its my favorite opening to play against...blacks ideas in it are rather simple so it's easy to play against...then again it's just personal preference

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree