1. Joined
    09 May '06
    Moves
    16 May '06 15:04
    I read a book with all the books and prices ffrom the Swedish chess shop when I come to the "New In Chess Year Book" section.
    I come down to Yearbook 73 (i think its 73...) and there I find the "Piére Attack".

The Article was written by no other than Piére himself.

The Opening moves was:
    1.d4 d5 2.a3!?

a3?? Really?

Is there ome kind of hidden (good?) idee behind this move or is it just a crappy opening that Piére made to come to history?

Shadows
  2. Joined
    09 May '06
    Moves
    16 May '06 16:28
    ok, then I asume that its a crappy opening

Shadows
  3. Belfast
    Moves
    16 May '06 16:29
    Looks crap.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 May '06 20:481 edit
    2.a3 Isn't suicide, there are better moves to be made....

to me, this is a rather duboius use of a valueable tempo....

Perhaps the true "power" of the move comes when black castles short only to find 2.a3 allows a quick pawn storm

Or, perhaps its for 'luft', when you castle queenside, in which case, a3 would have to of been played sooner of later

Maybe its simply a played to make black scratch his head a little and leave his opening repotoires...
  5. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 May '06 21:21
    I've seen lower rated players wary of the Nimzo-Indian play 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.a3. It's not a terrible move...3.Nf3 b6 4.a3 is a real opening even. But it's not really that hot either. I suppose offhand I'd hit back with 3...c5 or 3...d5 if I saw this....hmmm....better think about it a little.

1.d4 d5 2.a3 is pretty weird though. Offhand it seems to call out for either 2...c5 or 2...g6...
  6. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    16 May '06 21:544 edits
    Originally posted by Shadows
    I read a book with all the books and prices ffrom the Swedish chess shop when I come to the "New In Chess Year Book" section.
    I come down to Yearbook 73 (i think its 73...) and there I find the

The Opening moves was:
    1.d4 d5 2.a3!?

a3?? Really?

Is there ome kind of hidden hind this move or is it just a crappy opening that Piére made to come to history?

Shadows
    I'll stick with Fischer! Develop your pieces towards the middle. The tactics will come. Look to the greats for the answers to your questions. Would Fischer have done it? Maybe. And, better yet, should you do it being a class player? NOPE! Stick with the principles of good opening play. Be a gambiteer as a class player. If not a gambiteer, play a tactical opening such as the Scotch Game or the Italian Game. With Black, don't be afraid to play: 1.) e4 e5! You're not playing grandmasters and you shouldn't be. Play someone no more or less than 200 points your rating strength. Nothing wrong with occasionally building up your ego/confidence by demolishing a 1300 player - especially when you've had a bad day. But, players 100 points stronger than you are make you stronger as well - even if you lose. Throw away the "Piére Attack." It sometimes takes a lifetime for one man to perfect one opening! Why just pick out some lame opening and try to perfect it? It's fine if you want to lose, but I want to win. How about you? My teacher - Lev Alburt - told me these same things. They are true and from the heart of a three time U.S. Chess Champion and the greatest chess coach who ever lived. Remember them well, young Jedi.
  7. Belfast
    Moves
    16 May '06 22:06
    That's a little simplistic. Fischer said "Tactics flow from a superior position".

Sometimes simple development has to superceded by a broader plan.

For example, the Nimzo-Indian line mentioned above, 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.a3, although it doesn't develop anything, is not a bad move. It was, in fact, favoured by Tigran Petrosian, famed for his constrictive play.

Simply developing towards the centre and waiting for your opponent to blunder won't get you very far.
  8. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    16 May '06 22:10
    Originally posted by Positional Player
    That's a little simplistic. Fischer said "Tactics flow from a superior position".

For example, the Nimzo-Indian line mentioned above, 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.a3, although it doesn't develop anything, is not a bad move. It was, in fact, favoured by Tigran Petrosian, famed for his c ...[text shortened]... eloping towards the centre and waiting for your opponent to blunder won't get you very far.
    Develop your pieces. The tactics will come. If you develop your pieces correctly and with great thought, you will have a good position. But, most of the time, we usually mess up the good position, because we think it isn't good after all. But, development is of the greatest importance.
  9. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    16 May '06 22:151 edit
    Originally posted by Positional Player

For example, the Nimzo-Indian line mentioned above, 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.a3, although it doesn't develop anything, is not a bad move. It was, in fact, favoured by Tigran Petrosian, famed for his c ...[text shortened]... eloping towards the centre and waiting for your opponent to blunder won't get you very far.
    I did not say that! I am responding to the PIerre attack! I am saying it's better to play good solid chess which has time and time again proven itself! I'm not saying you'll win if you develop your pieces, goof ball! We are talking about an opening - not exceptions! Everyone knows there is an exception to every rule in the game itself! GEEZ! GOOFY! Thanks for sharing!
  10. Joined
    09 May '06
    Moves
    17 May '06 08:21
    Interesting...

When you mention it, a3 in the QID is not bad at all but after d5 I can´t spot the ide.

The only reason someone would play it might be that they hate white and wants to play black after 1.d4 d5 with the extra move a6 throwed in but if you know anything about chess I don´t think that should be the case.

Shadows
  11. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    17 May '06 10:28
    Originally posted by Shadows
    I come down to Yearbook 73 (i think its 73...) and there I find the "Piére Attack".

The Opening moves was:
    1.d4 d5 2.a3!?

a3?? Really?

Is there ome kind of hidden ...[text shortened]... hind this move or is it just a crappy opening that Piére made to come to history?

Shadows
    Let me annotate that

1.d4?! (Waste of a move try e4, c4 maybe even take up fishing)
    1.d5?! (You like symmetrical games? Take up fishing)
    2.a3?! (Iv wasted my first move why not waste another)
  12. Joined
    09 May '06
    Moves
    17 May '06 11:20
    Well...

I myself do´t pplay 1. d4 but alot of people do and I don´t think its a bad move, it leads to some interesting positions. (even thought i still prefer 1. e4)

1...d5 is my own coice actually, not becouse it leads to symmetry, but so I can play my pet line, the Chigorin (2. c4 Nc6)

And yes I don´think 2. a3 is a good move

Shadows
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 May '06 13:36
    I once lost a game to a Hungarian IM who completely out-psyched me. Before the game started he offered to lose to me for £10, then when I refused this played 1.h4 and 2.a4.

Paul Morphy lost to Adolf Anderssen when the latter opened 1.a3
  14. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    17 May '06 13:47
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I once lost a game to a Hungarian IM who completely out-psyched me. Before the game started he offered to lose to me for £10, then when I refused this played 1.h4 and 2.a4.

Paul Morphy lost to Adolf Anderssen when the latter opened 1.a3
    Miles famously beat Karpov with 1.e4 a6 0-1 🙂
  15. Joined
    09 May '06
    Moves
    17 May '06 13:59
    Even thought, it does not mean that 1.a3 is a good move.

You can´t lose just after that, there are no refutasion but when you get white I don´t think your ambition should beto play black with a6 as an extra move.

There are better plans at your arsenal, you was given the first move, why not use it?

Shadows

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree