Kramnik is a freak so a3. 😀
  3. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 01:011 edit
    If I calculated correctly:

1. Bf6! g6 2. hg fg 3. Kg5 +-

Black has 1...gf as well, but I don't think it matters.
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 01:43
    I remember the idea so couldn't test myself.

Players should of course try analysing for themselves. Don't get lazy! 🙂 But as an aside, I presume if any forum positions are suitably analysed with an engine, then people view the HTML and copy 'n paste the FEN string... just a small tip for anyone still setting up positions manually.
  5. Toronto
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 03:20
    Clicking the "reply and quote" button also provides the FEN.
  6. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 07:532 edits
    Nvm... Tony's right!
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 13:051 edit
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    Nvm... Tony's right!
    Yep, that's how the game continued. If Black takes the bishop, which Hiarcs 12 did when I played the position against the box, the knight will need to immolate itself for the h-pawn. Black can push the a-pawn to create a space for the rook to escape, but this is far to slow with White's pawn on f6.

Of course, one can always work this stuff out with an engine--in a way I did that be playing it against the box--but you could do that for the problems in any tactics book too. Letting the engine find the solution, then posting it, can make you seem smart in the forums that will be read by 17 people.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 13:32
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    If Black takes the bishop, which Hiarcs 12 did when I played the position against the box, the knight will need to immolate itself for the h-pawn.
    I don't think I would ever in my life find this move in a real game.

FWIW, Rybka Human plays 1...Bf6 2.g6.
  9. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 13:591 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Letting the engine find the solution, then posting it, can make you seem smart in the forums that will be read by 17 people.
    Agreed. If anything, people should analyse; post it here; and maybe only then check with an engine. This creates a good habit of being “accountable” for one’s analysis, which we have to do in a game.

My comment about the FEN string was just an aside, and clarencecuasay’s suggestion was ever simpler.

Maybe it’s just me, but does anyone else see a similarity between this position and a famous Capablanca ending? I’m not referring to a bishop sac specifically, but just the idea of sacrificing material to activate one’s pieces to a maximum by clearing a path for the king, etc.
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 14:05
    Do not know about the Capablanca endgame you are referring to, but this ingenious endgame shot comes into mind:

Topalov - Shirov, Linares 1998.
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 15:16
    Originally posted by Varenka
    Maybe it’s just me, but does anyone else see a similarity between this position and a famous Capablanca ending?
    Now that you mention it, there is a resemblance. Another clear example of Kramnik's application of the famous Capablanca ending came in the final game in Bissago--his title defense against Leko.

Start from this position with White (Kramnik) to move

Shirov's brilliant move is especially nice because engines do not find it, or at least they couldn't when it was played. I cannot speak for Rybka 3.
  12. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 16:05
    Not sure if this is right... but...
    Rxb7 Bxb7 NxB7+ Kc8 Nc5!

I'm not sure what to do after that, thats part of the reason I'm not sure that i have it right 🙁
  13. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 18:15
    That Bh3 of Shirov is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful moves in recorded chess, it continues to amaze me 😀
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 18:442 edits
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    Not sure if this is right... but...
    Rxb7 Bxb7 NxB7+ Kc8 Nc5!

I'm not sure what to do after that, thats part of the reason I'm not sure that i have it right 🙁
    Nope.

First watch carefully the King's maneuver from:

White to move

Diagram is prior to White's move 35.

Now, how did Kramnik execute a similar king maneuver?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree