1. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 23:00
    which is a better online chess game? playchess or icc? right now i have a membership with icc. i don't mind it. i like the fact that you can choose from different boards and that their really big on the screen. how are the boards on playchess? i know that fritz and playchess run together so i'm wondering if the playchess boards are as nice as the fritz boards. cuz the fritz boards are real nice.
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 23:03
    Originally posted by Arrak
    which is a better online chess game? playchess or icc? right now i have a membership with icc. i don't mind it. i like the fact that you can choose from different boards and that their really big on the screen. how are the boards on playchess? i know that fritz and playchess run together so i'm wondering if the playchess boards are as nice as the fritz boards. cuz the fritz boards are real nice.
    I think PC has the better GUI, I have PC, but I'm thinking about signing up for ICC.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 23:18
    you can try playchess out as a guest with the free interface.
  4. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 23:22
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I think PC has the better GUI, I have PC, but I'm thinking about signing up for ICC.
    If PC has a better GUI, what is swaying you towards wanting to sign up to ICC?

I am already with ICC but haven't tried PC.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 23:25
    Originally posted by lausey
    If PC has a better GUI, what is swaying you towards wanting to sign up to ICC?

I am already with ICC but haven't tried PC.
    Because I can. I'd still have my PC membership.

It seems like ICC has much more in the way of simuls, lectures (well maybe not lectures...), and playing against top level players in general.
  6. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 23:31
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Because I can. I'd still have my PC membership.

It seems like ICC has much more in the way of simuls, lectures (well maybe not lectures...), and playing against top level players in general.
    Ok, hope I didn't sound rude. Just was wondering what benefits ICC has over PC. 🙂
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 23:32
    Originally posted by lausey
    Ok, hope I didn't sound rude. Just was wondering what benefits ICC has over PC. 🙂
    No, I just always have rude responses. 🙂
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 23:36
    Playchess uses the same boards as Fritz/Chessbase. CB9 and Fritz are integrated nicely with playchess; all your games are saved to a database, and you can get instant Fritz analysis after the game without leaving your board window.
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 23:40
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Playchess uses the same boards as Fritz/Chessbase. CB9 and Fritz are integrated nicely with playchess; all your games are saved to a database, and you can get instant Fritz analysis after the game without leaving your board window.
    True, that's a nice benefit.
  10. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 23:41
    whats GUI mean?
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 23:42
    whats GUI mean?
    Graphics User Interface. Basically the thing you stare at for a few hours at a time.
  12. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '06 23:43
    so let me get this stright playchess uses the exact same board as fritz? same size too?
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 00:02
    Check it out for yourself:

go to:

http://www.playchess.com/

Download the free client software

... and lo and behold .......
  14. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 00:06
    Yes you can resize it and it's a very well done interface.

It also kibitzes during observed games...

Personally, I like FICS with the latest BabasChess better than Playchess and ICC... Plus it's free.

people say there are cheaters there... I haven't seen them...

They also say it's not top notch competition and I'd have to agree at a GM IM level but there are plenty of people who can beat the other 99.9% of us on there.

You can have Rybka2.2 - Crafty - TogaII or whatever analyze your games right when they finish with FICS. They have LectureBot and BabasTalk as well.

All of your games are saved to MyGames.pgn for you to review later.

ICC and FICS have the same backbone. After ICS started charging money and turned to ICC, FICS filled the freechess void.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 00:18
    so let me get this stright playchess uses the exact same board as fritz? same size too?
    Yes, the settings in one program affect the other.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree