Playchess sending usage statistics

Playchess sending usage statistics

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

timed out again

Moves
16 Apr 11

I registered a trial account at PC and noticed that something popped up asking whether I would like to give usage statistics to which I said no. After blitzing on the second day I noticed text in blue saying sending the stats.

Is this the norm? Are chess companies now going to "spy" on their users or I'm being paranoid?

Q
Racing Ralph

53x11

Moves
16 Apr 11

I've been on Playchess for years and have never seen the usage statistics message. I know they track it though -- during various tournaments they have quoted average viewer time on a broadcast, etc. I believe the anti-cheating system basically checks if you are switching between the Playchess program and some other application. I heard that several years ago, so its probably / maybe more sophisticated now.

Quite frankly, for any site you can assume it is tracking your usage. Every time you log in, you leave a record. Ask Holgar or one of the other Playchess operators the next time you notice one online.

e

timed out again

Moves
17 Apr 11

It was a trial account (I did not get the full account) so i cannot log on and send a message. What is puzzling is that when a message popped up "Do I want to send usage statistics" I said no the first day and then I saw the message in blue when I was playing on day 2.

DTG

Moves
17 Apr 11

Originally posted by enrico20
It was a trial account (I did not get the full account) so i cannot log on and send a message. What is puzzling is that when a message popped up "Do I want to send usage statistics" I said no the first day and then I saw the message in blue when I was playing on day 2.
The site might logically separate game statistics from other ways you interact with the program. For instance the program might track how many times you opened the help menu, which chess set you use, or upload a diagnostics file if it detects it is about to crash.