1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 18:25
    Originally posted by king creole
    I would be interested to know what the board thinks of players who simply swap pieces with the intention of simply being 1 piece up on you constantly throughout a game.
    This has happened against me a few times.
    I am not a good player by far and thought that tactical manouvering was more correct unless this is included.
    I would be grateful for your thoughts
    sorry, am i missing something...? isn't this what the game is all about, winning... once i'm a piece up i will simply trade piece for piece with the intention of being one piece up at the end game... whats the problem with that...? it's called tactics... am i suppose to let you back into the game then...?
  2. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 18:45
    You mean tactically inept?
    No it is the logical thing to do because if you do simplify you do have a very good endgame advantage and if your opponent avoids simplifying he is then is being compromised in his move selection
  3. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 18:46
    WHAT??!??! someone is using a winning strategy thats completely logical !!>!!> this is an outrage good sir and you can be assured my chess club confederates and I will have a gentleman's laugh over it
  4. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 18:57
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    WHAT??!??! someone is using a winning strategy thats completely logical !!>!!> this is an outrage good sir and you can be assured my chess club confederates and I will have a gentleman's laugh over it
    Over your tipple of choice?😉
  5. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 19:02
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Over your tipple of choice?😉
    lets keep it clean diet coke, there's children reading
  6. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 22:42
  7. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 23:19
    I would be interested to know what the board thinks of players who simply swap pieces with the intention of simply being 1 piece up on you constantly throughout a game.
    This has happened against me a few times.
    I am not a good player by far and thought that tactical manouvering was more correct unless this is included.
    I would be grateful for your thoughts
    It is chess 101 to simply when a piece up. But likewise, if you are a piece down, you should avoid exchanges and keep as much of your material on the board as possible. The course of the game depends on both players. If you don't like what your opponent is doing, prevent it.
  8. Joined
    25 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 23:37
    Others have mostly covered it, but I trade under the following conditions:

1) When I'm up in material. This has been discussed, and hopefully everyone understands the value in doing so.

2) When I have the opportunity to trade a bad piece for my opponent's good piece. If he has an active bishop on a diagonal that is applying pressure to an area of the board that I consider vulnerable, then I might trade it off even if I'm down in material to reduce that threat.

3) If I'm feeling pressured. Sometimes my opponent will get a lead in development, and if I can develop a piece that threatens one of his pieces, I will do so with the expectation of trading that piece; if not, then I still developed my piece. Trading would have the effect of nullifying some of his lead in development.

Looking at the above, there seems to be a more fundamental formula here, a formula that's often espoused by others:

1) Find the imbalance on the board. This could be in terms of material, development, king safety, pawn structure, etc. etc. Anything that is an advantage or disadvantage for you.

2) Create a plan to amplify your advantages and neutralize your disadvantages. The most obvious example is to not trade pieces if you're down in material. That's an obvious disadvantage.

Anyway, maybe the above summary will help others.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree