1. Joined
    20 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 15:46
    I would be interested to know what the board thinks of players who simply swap pieces with the intention of simply being 1 piece up on you constantly throughout a game.
    This has happened against me a few times.
    I am not a good player by far and thought that tactical manouvering was more correct unless this is included.
    I would be grateful for your thoughts
  2. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 15:48
    we do not have any special thoughts or feelings about those players...they are not special, they are chess players
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 15:52
    You mean tactically inept?
  4. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 15:54
    why tactically inept ? they are tactically better than you because they are up a piece...
  5. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 15:57
    Originally posted by king creole
    It's very usual & is solid basic strategy.
    If you're ahead than it makes sense to simplify (ie exchange like for like pieces off the board) because the less pawns & pieces on the board, the more your comparative advantage will be over your opponent.

Ceteris paribus
    😛
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 15:59

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 16:031 edit
    I would be interested to know what the board thinks of players who simply swap pieces with the intention of simply being 1 piece up on you constantly throughout a game.
    I am not a good player by far and thought that tactical manouvering was more correct unless this is included.
    With a full board, and assuming pawn=1, bishop/knight=3, Rook=5, Queen=9, then you have a 39 pawns plays 39.

If you have a 1 bishop advantage, then it is 39 plays 36: You have an advantage of about 7.7%.

If you then manage to swap off most of the other pieces, leaving you with a bishop and rook and 3 pawns V rook and 3 pawns, then it is 11 plays 8, which equates to an advantage of about 27%.

Once you have a material advantage, generally, swapping off pieces should increase your advantage.

D
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 16:501 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    With a full board, and assuming pawn=1, bishop/knight=3, Rook=5, Queen=9, then you have a 39 pawns plays 39.

If you have a 1 bishop advantage, then it is 39 plays 36: You have an advantage of about 7.7%.

If you then manage to swap off most of the other pieces, leaving you with a bishop and rook and 3 pawns V rook and 3 pawns, then it is 11 plays 8, wh ...[text shortened]... a material advantage, [b]generally
    , swapping off pieces should increase your advantage.

D[/b]
    ^ provided of course, that after all the trades, you havn't simplified into a draw.

eg. N+N+K v K

if we simple used numbers, then it would be 11:5 white (*where king=5) which would appear to be advantageous to white....when it isn't.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 16:55
    Your opponent isn't obligated to let you back in the game when you lose a piece. The burden of avoiding trades is on you.
  10. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 16:56
    Piece swapping? like this?

Game 3168723
  11. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 17:091 edit
    there's 2 occasions when I'll trade down. The obvious one is when I've a material advantage. The one I'm not proud of is when I'm in a complex middle game and find it hard to formulate a plan... I simplify and find it easier. Same goes for cramped positions, trade off to free up space.
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 17:11
    When you are material up you can threaten to exchange pieces to force your opponent to move his men away from the good squares that they occupy
  13. Joined
    14 Feb '07
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 17:211 edit
    It's a perfectly reasonable and normal strategy. If you are a peice down then you should avoid the piece trades. Pawn trades can be ok as they could open up the enemy king, create passed pawns etc.

If you are a piece down and you feel there is a chance for you to continue play so that there are as many complex tactical possibilities as possible. That usually means try to make passed pawns, point your pieces at the enemy king and queen, put your knights on good outposts near their king etc - and avoid trades where possible!
  14. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 17:401 edit
    This is normal strategy. The onus is now on your opponent to force swaps (difficult), and you must try to avoid them(difficult). It's part of the game.
  15. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 18:16
    Reciprocate by trying to swap all the pawns off, if he's a minor piece up with no pawns then you get a draw.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree