1. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 05:55
    I find that when I have my rating up in the 1700's here, players in the 1500's tend to kind of roll over for me. However, when I let my rating drop due to stupidity, timeouts, drinking too much and the like, 1500 players play me very tough.

This is just a curious observation for all to ponder: lower rated players have the power to beat higher rated players if they just can avoid getting bent out of shape about the rating.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 06:39
    There is definitely truth to this OTB too and you give good advice.
  3. Joined
    22 Sep '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 06:40
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    I find that when I have my rating up in the 1700's here, players in the 1500's tend to kind of roll over for me. However, when I let my rating drop due to stupidity, timeouts, drinking too much and the like, 1500 players play me very tough.

This is just a curious observation for all to ponder: lower rated players have the power to beat higher rated players if they just can avoid getting bent out of shape about the rating.
    Although what you say may also be true. It may also be that their playing strength is the same and that as you are playing badly (for that is how your rating has deflated) they seem to be playing relatively stronger than when you were playing well.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 06:41

Interesting observation. There is clearly an intimidation factor involved, and the lower rated players are psyched out by a high rated opponent. I've noticed the same thing when I start a new free trial account at some real-time chess server. Before my rating gets to its normal level I get the toughest games out of the class players.
  5. e4
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 08:48
    Totally true.

I've been at tournaments and seen people walking way after seeing
    the first round pairings, pale faced, miserable looking and
    already resigned to a loss.

For some reason the weaker player usually plays an opening they
    have never tried before.
    Every strong player will tell you that they have had this conversation,
    or one similar to it after a game v a lower graded opponent.

"I've never played this opening before but because I was playing you...?"

As to why the 1500 player suddenly turns into a Tiger v a fellow 1500.
    Well it's the numbers. We worship the numbers.

Playing a 1750 player the 1500 player can relax. If he loses
    (and he expects to lose - in his mind he has lost) his grade will suffer
    minimal damage.

However playing against a fellow 1500 a loss here could be serious.
    He might lose 10 whole grading points. So he fights like a swine.

(he is also boosted by the fact you are the same grade as him so
    he has not clocked up the premature loss in his mind - this is most likely
    the real reason why they play better v a fellow 1500).

Good Post: I like that phrase. 'bent out of shape by their rating...'
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 08:56
    😉
  7. The sky
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 10:52

I think I am more likely to do the opposite. I once blundered my queen in a game against a much lower rated player because I just didn't take the game seriously (I still won, though, after deciding that I now had to take it very seriously). I had a higher rated player do the same favour to me once (and unlike me he immediately resigned). I try not to let the ratings influence me, but I am still more likely to be careless when I am playing a lower rated player.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 12:30
    I've heard of it from others, and I wish I'd get one of those easy ones for change, but I always seem to end up with the fighting end of the stick.
  9. Joined
    23 Sep '07
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 17:521 edit
    I do the opposite, if they're 1500 or less I just blitz as fast as the RHP page can load, and thus end up in dumb positions against weaker opponents.
    Yet if they're 1700+ I actually try and take my time.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 17:57
    I once spaced and dropped my queen for a knight and my opponent, being lower rated, did NOT take my queen and said, "you can't trick me!"

so I ended up with a free knight and an easy game.
  11. USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 20:25

Interesting- you lose to 1500's? Want to play a game?
  12. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 06:42
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Interesting- you lose to 1500's? Want to play a game?
    Think I may have lost to you in the past, actually. I'll have to look it up.
  13. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 06:55

I think you are correct. People do tend to take one's rating into consideration during the course of the game. I know I do. This is one reason I am going to stop writing my opponents rating on the paper scoresheet until the game is over. It's wise to play against the board position...not the rating.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree