1. Belfast
    Moves
    21 May '06 14:222 edits
    What is the best way for White to play against the Lengingrad Dutch? What do you Dutch players find most annoying?

The reason I ask is that I have a tournament over the summer and I will probably be playing against this guy who always plays the Leningrad Dutch against 1.d4.

Edit: There are few, if any Internet resources on this line of the Dutch. So far, all I have been able to come up with is restraint of e5 and pushing my QP up to d5 supported by c4 to try and cramp black. Then play for the pawn break on c5 supported by b4.

Any thoughts?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '06 18:29
    Originally posted by Positional Player
    What is the best way for White to play against the Lengingrad Dutch? What do you Dutch players find most annoying?

The reason I ask is that I have a tournament over the summer and I will probably be playing against this guy who always plays the Leningrad Dutch against 1.d4.

Any thoughts?
    In general you should play what you normally do against the Leningrad. If you vary from normal g3 lines, for example with 2.Bg5 you will probably find that he will know it better than you, having faced it many times before: whereas if you play what you normally would at least you can comfort yourself with the idea that you are in a position that is familiar to you. If you fear the kingside pawn attack that Black often plays you can try and cross him up early by castling Queenside yourself and playing a line such as 1.d4 f5 2.Nc3 g6 3.h4!? and I notice that Stuart Conquest has played this. I have no idea if this is really sound but it may take your man out of his comfort zone and thinking on his feet so to speak.
  3. Belfast
    Moves
    21 May '06 18:37
    Originally posted by Mister Meaner
    In general you should play what you normally do against the Leningrad. If you vary from normal g3 lines, for example with 2.Bg5 you will probably find that he will know it better than you, having faced it many times before: whereas if you play what you normally would at least you can comfort yourself with the idea that you are in a position that is fa ...[text shortened]... lly sound but it may take your man out of his comfort zone and thinking on his feet so to speak.
    Problem is that I don't have anything that I normally play against the Leningrad, having only come up against it once (the same guy). Most people who play the Dutch online tend to go for a Stonewall or Classical setup.

I'm not really into any lines that are "anti-Dutch" or "anti-Indian", I prefer to play sound, positional lines.
  4. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    21 May '06 18:42
    I have no idea what a lenigagag dutch is but play 1. b3 and he cant play it!
  5. Belfast
    Moves
    21 May '06 18:57
    Originally posted by Caro Kann
    I have no idea what a lenigagag dutch is but play 1. b3 and he cant play it!
    Yes, you can play it against the Larsen Opening. You can play the Dutch against most things, the major exception beging 1.e4.

In any case, I'm not about to give up 1.d4 due to the wish to avoid one Defence.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '06 19:16
    Problem is that I don't have anything that I normally play against the Leningrad, having only come up against it once (the same guy). Most people who play the Dutch online tend to go for a Stonewall or Classical setup.

I'm not really into any lines that are "anti-Dutch" or "anti-Indian", I prefer to play sound, positional lines.
    I don't think you need to worry overmuch. Nunns Chess Openings for example has the same 6 moves for White in its main lines (g3)against the Leningrad, Classical Stonewall and Fluid System (6...d6) with a choice of 7.b3 or 7.Nc3....The key then is understanding how to try for advantage. d5, as you mention is probably the most promising, avoiding e5xd4 at some stage opening h8/a1 for the Black Leningrad Bishop....
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 May '06 03:411 edit
    I wrote a pamphlet a few years ago discussing some ideas against the Leningrad Dutch. You can find it at http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/PDF/LeninDutch.pdf.

Some of the analysis is a bit dated now, but the ideas have continued to bring me success in the past few months.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 May '06 08:211 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I wrote a pamphlet a few years ago discussing some ideas against the Leningrad Dutch. You can find it at http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/PDF/LeninDutch.pdf.

Some of the analysis is a bit dated now, but the ideas have continued to bring me success in the past few months.
    An interesting article/research thank you. Hope PP reads it and sees some of the ideas hinted at in this thread fleshed out. The Alekhine Tartakover game with the lunging h4-h5 attack is an interesting precedent for the Stuart Conquest line mentioned above. Wulebgr - the only thing was the link in your post didn't go straight there, it brings an angelfire error page. I had to go via the address on your profile page - that goes to the index, and find it from there....
  9. Belfast
    Moves
    22 May '06 19:50

Smashing Wulebgr! I shall have a crack at 7.d5 with White then. I am actually rather surprised my original idea holds water under analysis, and I agree with your proposal that White obtains a freer game by capturing on e6!

Nice site.
  10. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 May '06 18:11

This link doesnt work, is the document uploaded anywhere else?

Thanks in advanced.
  11. Belfast
    Moves
    29 May '06 18:16
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    This link doesnt work, is the document uploaded anywhere else?

Thanks in advanced.
    Don't include the dot at the end.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    29 May '06 18:59
    Don't include the dot at the end.
    Yes, the terminal punctuation ends the sentence and is not part of the link.
  13. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 May '06 19:10
    Yes, the terminal punctuation ends the sentence and is not part of the link.
    http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/PDF/LeninDutch.pdf

Iv tried that, it starts to download then says IE cant download this link...

Ahh works in Firefox tho, weird 🙂
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    30 May '06 01:55
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/PDF/LeninDutch.pdf

Iv tried that, it starts to download then says IE cant download this link...

Ahh works in Firefox tho, weird 🙂
    Dump Explorer. Use it only to visit www.microsoft.com when you need updates for Windows.
  15. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 10:181 edit
    How not to play against the Leningrad Dutch:

Game 2090921

In my defence, it was Bedlam, of course, and my empty-headed, plan-free dithering is something Silman would have gladly murdered duck-billed platypuses over, but I think I'm going to have flashbacks if any future Leningrad Dutch player offers me the chance to double his pawns at the price of a catastrophic defeat...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree