1. Joined
    04 May '11
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 13:22
    So I just checked my stats and apparently I suck at playing as black(that is, even more so than as white). How should I practice in order to best improve?
  2. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 14:07
    You may benefit from researching "Black is OK" & "Black is OK Forever" by Andras Adorjan. Also book(s) on defense and tactics(explaining and or puzzles) may help you too.

Best wishes 🙂
  3. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 14:07
    Hey,

just looked at one of your black games: Game 8567841. I guess the problem is just that playing black requires more defensive attention.

I 've spotted some hanging pieces and missed chances. Maybe you should try some exercise on tactics. Also, try to gain more from the opening. Develop your pieces towards the center and try to castle before your opponent gets a chance to attack your king.

Good luck!
  4. bedlam
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 14:41
    Originally posted by Vartiovuori
    So I just checked my stats and apparently I suck at playing as black(that is, even more so than as white). How should I practice in order to best improve?
    Adhere to the principles: develop asap,king safety,central influence and minimal pawn moves.
    same game as tvo used but touching other points.
    5....,b6

slow,but not bad per se.But be carefull with moves like that,you're setting yourself up for Qf3 tricks.
    Imagine 6.Qf3,Ngf6 (careless,random developing move) 7.Nxf6,Nxf6 8.Qxa8 (bye bye rook)

6.Bg5,f6?

Don't do that.
    The pawns on the side where you plan to castle are hot.You can touch them but only with great care.
    Instead,parry the attack with a developing move.

Looks far better doesn't it?

13.d5

Here,7 moves later,that f6 still bites you in the butt.
    You'd like to get your g8 knight into play but can't because the friggin' f6 pawn's in the way.
    So you see how long you can sometimes suffer from these mistakes.

I looked at 2 other games.Same mistakes.
    I rest my case.

@ketchup
    Have you actually read Adorjàn?
  5. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 14:54
    I had similar thoughts about 5. ... b6 and 6. ... f6. Didn't mention them, cause I lack the experience to really say what is good or bad in an opening. But they sure wouldn't have been my first choice.

However, I consider 8. ... e5 as a good alternative to Bd6. Wouldn't be possible without the earlier f6. In that line, the f6-square would soon be available for the king's knight.
  6. bedlam
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 15:38
    Originally posted by tvochess
    I had similar thoughts about 5. ... b6 and 6. ... f6. Didn't mention them, cause I lack the experience to really say what is good or bad in an opening. But they sure wouldn't have been my first choice.

However, I consider 8. ... e5 as a good alternative to Bd6. Wouldn't be possible without the earlier f6. In that line, the f6-square would soon be available for the king's knight.
    If you doubt,don't mention it.Very good.
    Btw,I didn't mean to correct you.I was making my analyses,then saw your post and just left out my bit on the things you already said.

I agree 8....,e5 looks good.Personally I prefer the maneuver 8....,Ne7 9....,Ng6,but that's me,I like pieceplay.Plus I don't know what's best there and the old saying goes

When in doubt get a piece out! 🙂
  7. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 16:01
    Originally posted by torten
    If you doubt,don't mention it.Very good.
    Btw,I didn't mean to correct you.I was making my analyses,then saw your post and just left out my bit on the things you already said.

I agree 8....,e5 looks good.Personally I prefer the maneuver 8....,Ne7 9....,Ng6,but that's me,I like pieceplay.Plus I don't know what's best there and the old saying goes

When in doubt get a piece out! 🙂
    Didn't interprete it as a correction. I just wanted to say I agree with the points you mentioned. And adding that idea about e5...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree