1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 09:18
    Game 6153596

I'm white and my king is getting hassled by blacks queen. I did not want to move kd1 as this would have exposed by rook on g1. However my opponent seemed happy to allow the sitation to result in a draw (they must have claimed??).

If I was black I would have taken what looks like an advantage and developed more pieces.

Any thoughts on why or what you would have done in either case?

Thanks.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 12:381 edit
    developing pieces is a major problem here for black -- his bishop is hemmed in, he can't castle right now, and neither rook can be brought into play immediately -- and his king is staring into the space of an open file.

meanwhile, white has both his queen and bishop active and is about to get his queen-side rook into play as well -- while all black has in play is his queen

an immediate threat that white can use is Re1+ followed by Qxf7 - and it's looking ugly for black.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 14:47
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    an immediate threat that white can use is Re1+ followed by Qxf7 - and it's looking ugly for black.
    Thanks for reply.

However, how can I move Re1 when I'm in checkat this move? I can only move out of check to e1 and the Q follows to e3 effectively blocking the file to the black k. Then, if i don't move kf1 i'm deep trouble with black taking my rook.

Sorry ifI'm being dense here, but i would apreciate further insight please?
  4. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 16:50
    consider the final position - if it wasn't a draw you'd play K back to e1 presumably (blocking, as you say, the rook coming to e1).

what is Black to do then if not carry on checking the queen?

Black can't castle short. Perhaps ... b6 intending ... Bb7 or perhaps ...Ba6 either case intending to castle long.

Then perhaps White plays a2-a4-a5 ... and his rook turns out to be very well placed on a1.

Black may try to get his own rook to e8. Maybe ... Kd8 then intending ... Re8 next move. Still gummed up on the queenside but perhaps his attack on your open king would be enough.

In short ... I don't particularly like either side at first glance.

So again, putting the ball back in your court. If you want to play on as Black how are you going to develop pieces?
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 18:20
    If I had black I'd be very tempted to try ...Kd8 on move 23, followed by ...Re8. Especially if my opponent was rated 1000. 😛
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 22:05
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    If I had black I'd be very tempted to try ...Kd8 on move 23, followed by ...Re8. Especially if my opponent was rated 1000. 😛
    23 ... Kd8 followed by Re8 looks like the best plan to me too. I've looked at this position off and on today, and I don't think there's anything better.

I don't really have a problem with black taking a draw in this position. Black can get into real trouble fairly quickly and there isn't an obvious "safe" line, although the Kd8 idea may be good enough.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 20:10
    Thanks.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 23:56
    I don't think black was playing for a draw. Black simply ran out of ideas. Indeed moving his own king to get a rook into play was about black's only option. Perhaps black thought you would relent and let him take your rook. He would have taken both rooks had you relented. In future try and avoid placing yoruself in perpetual check positions. Anyway, since you're too narced to care a draw is better than losing, isn't it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree