1. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '17 15:15
    Its doing my head in. Black just played ...Kd4 which is a mistake, but I cannot work out how to promote the pawn.

2. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '17 15:19
    Use Rook to chase black King away and the advance with your King.
    It should be egal which checks you give, as far you manage to advance with your King.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '17 17:311 edit
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Use Rook to chase black King away and the advance with your King.
    It should be egal which checks you give, as far you manage to advance with your King.
    Rd1 ..Ke5 as soon as the king steps out from behind the pawn black checks him. If I make a waiting move with the rook, the black king king simply shuffles up and down the e file
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Mar '17 17:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its doing my head in. Black just played ...Kd4 which is a mistake, but I cannot work out how to promote the pawn.

[fen]1r6/8/8/8/1P1k4/1K6/8/2R5 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    The position you want to head for is called the Lucena position. It's covered on Wikipedia and other online resources. As Vandervelde said it's largely a matter of keeping black's king out of the way and then using the rook to shield the king from checks once the pawn is far enough advanced to promote.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '17 17:512 edits
    the idea is to reach the Lucena position, I had two computers play each other and this was the solution.

1. Rc6 Kd5 2. Ra6 Rc8 3. b5 Rc4 4. Ra7 Rf4 5. Rc7 Re4 6. Rc8 Rg4 7. Kc3 Rg1 8. Kb4 Rb1+ 9. Ka5 Kd6 10. b6 Kd7 11. Rc2 Kd6 12. Ka6 Ra1+ 13. Kb7 Kd7 14. Kb8 Rb1 15. b7
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '17 17:532 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The position you want to head for is called the Lucena position. It's covered on Wikipedia and other online resources. As Vandervelde said it's largely a matter of keeping black's king out of the way and then using the rook to shield the king from checks once the pawn is far enough advanced to promote.
    I understand the Lucena position and I understand thats what I should be aiming form, its an entirely different matter getting there though. There should be a how to reach the Lucena position article somewhere. I don't just want to memorise the moves, I want to understand what I am supposed to be doing.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Mar '17 17:56
    Rd1 ..Ke5 as soon as the king steps out from behind the pawn black checks him. If I make a waiting move with the rook, the black king king simply shuffles up and down the e file
    I am not sure Rd1 even wins.

Better seems 1.Rc5 followed by 2.Rg5 allowing the b-pawn to advance, and keeping the bK in the southern half of the board.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '17 18:021 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I am not sure Rd1 even wins.

Better seems 1.Rc5 followed by 2.Rg5 allowing the b-pawn to advance, and keeping the bK in the southern half of the board.
    It doesn't, Rd1 is useless, computer gives Rc6 as first move. I have no idea what is going on even with the solution.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '17 18:36
    If you guys like you can practice it here.

http://www.chessvideos.tv/endgame-training/rook-pawn-vs-rook-8.php
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Mar '17 20:09
    If you guys like you can practice it here.

http://www.chessvideos.tv/endgame-training/rook-pawn-vs-rook-8.php
    Doesn't work on mobile ... d'oh.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Mar '17 21:55
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Doesn't work on mobile ... d'oh.
    Its still doing my head in. 1. Rc5 seems like winning as well.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Mar '17 23:41
    Its still doing my head in. 1. Rc5 seems like winning as well.
    Yep, you're right. I have 5 piece table bases on a laptop that I don't normally use and just checked. The winning moves are Rc5, Ka4, Ra1 and Rc6; all other moves draw except Rc8. Rc5 is the fastest win, I think it's a matter of getting black to drop moves with his rook. The Lucena method does not seem to be involved, which is what is confusing about it. There's more than one option per move on most of the moves which get to checkmate as fast, but the fastest route to checkmate according to EGTB is as follows:
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '17 00:061 edit
    Thank you so much. Its just super tricky, i keep trying to look for a methodology in it and the more I look the more the computer makes no sense. I want it to reach the Lucena position because from there we know how to win.
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Mar '17 14:36
    Rh1 with the idea of playing Rh5. That way the white king can follow the pawn with the rook supporting the advancing square by moving up the h-file. Black has difficulty blockading the pawn as placing the rook in front of the pawn simply comes under attack from the white king.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree