1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 20:551 edit
    This is a position which almost occurred from a recent game that i played, although its
    not quite the same, white has a rather astounding move in this position, with
    advantage.

what is whites best move and why (no engines allowed)
  2. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 22:20
    Mr. Carrobie your back with more! I have a suggestion on this one but I do not think its necessarily the best move. I like Nf5. Now you asked why? Now other than because I said so.. I like Nf5 because it opens up a checking lane (Qh5) 1 Nf5 Bxf5 2 gxf5 gxf5 and Qh5+ is open. Now I think this is all trivial. Black does not have to respond to Nf5. Black can continue on 1 Nf5 b3. I'm not sure what is better than Nf5. 1 Qf4 Kg8 and black looks fine.. maybe even advantageous!

Q
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 22:28
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    Mr. Carrobie your back with more! I have a suggestion on this one but I do not think its necessarily the best move. I like Nf5. Now you asked why? Now other than because I said so.. I like Nf5 because it opens up a checking lane (Qh5) 1 Nf5 Bxf5 2 gxf5 gxf5 and Qh5+ is open. Now I think this is all trivial. Black does not have to respond to Nf5. Black ...[text shortened]... sure what is better than Nf5. 1 Qf4 Kg8 and black looks fine.. maybe even advantageous!

Q
    Yeah, I was looking at the same move but also found the same problem.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 01:26
    I looked at Ne6 and Nf5 first (like everybody!), and anything cheesy based on h7, but I don't see anything immediately decisive.

RC, how deep should this be? If I was playing blitz, I'd put my queen on f4 with check simply because it would set up a discovered attack on black's queen on c4, which is loose. With more time, I am thinking of ways to exploit the e-file, with Rd3 (so I could move my queen to e2) or Re1.
  5. Joined
    06 Apr '11
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 02:14
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    Mr. Carrobie your back with more! I have a suggestion on this one but I do not think its necessarily the best move. I like Nf5. Now you asked why? Now other than because I said so.. I like Nf5 because it opens up a checking lane (Qh5) 1 Nf5 Bxf5 2 gxf5 gxf5 and Qh5+ is open. Now I think this is all trivial. Black does not have to respond to Nf5. Black ...[text shortened]... sure what is better than Nf5. 1 Qf4 Kg8 and black looks fine.. maybe even advantageous!

Q
    if black takes the knight on f5 white looks dangerous, so after say 1.Nf5 b3 would it work to play qxh7 trying to force black to take the knight on f5? its not decisive but looks quite dangerous, although im not sure if black wrecks havoc after bxa2+. looks fun
  6. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 04:52
    Originally posted by meakame37
    if black takes the knight on f5 white looks dangerous, so after say 1.Nf5 b3 would it work to play qxh7 trying to force black to take the knight on f5? its not decisive but looks quite dangerous, although im not sure if black wrecks havoc after bxa2+. looks fun
    meakame37 sir you are quite right. bxa2+ would be dangerous if not for the pin on the bishop from your suggestion of Qxh7. The result is a rather long kingwalk and a solid attack. 1. Nf5 b3 2. Qxh7 bxa2+ 3. Ka1 Bxf5 4. Bh6 (bringing another piece into the attack) Ke8 5. Qxg7 (else black has a good attack with that bishop unpinned) 5... Kd7 (whites pressure on f8) ideas from here: to bring the rook to the e file (thanks Paul) and of course if a finish can't be found from here then gxf5 will obviously be done. I may have missed some things..

Q
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '11 10:531 edit
    gentlemen you are brilliant, i played the dubious Ne6 😕
  8. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 18:591 edit
    hi,
    THIS IS NOT ENGINE CHECKED SO.....
    Just looking at

Nf5!? Bf5!?
    gf then Ke8!? still looks complicated eg
    Qh7 Bf6
    and then if Qg6, black replies Kd7

blacks king may be the safer

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree