Originally posted by XanthosNZ
The sacrifice has no real followup and just leaves white down material. Bad.
After 16... Nxf7 17. Kxf7 fxg6 18. Ke8 white has two pawns, one passed pawn that he might be able to hold on to, one open file and a king to harass. Is this enough compensation?
In terms of actual continuations, I was thinking of something like:
18. e5! dxe5 19. g7 Rg8 ( here 19 ... Bxg7? 20. Qg6+ Kd8 21. Qxg7
and white has regained the material and black is in trouble.)
20. Bxh6 and white has three pawns for the knight.
18. ... Bxe5 has similar results.
16. Nxf7 0-0 17. Nxh6 and black is two pawns down with nothing to show for it.
16. Nxf7 Kxf7 17. fxg6 Kxg6 18. e5+ ... white regains material and black king is exposed.