Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 27 Jul '12 14:32
    I've been doing tactical problems on the chess tactics server, does anyone know of a good free website for positional training?
  2. 27 Jul '12 20:08
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    I've been doing tactical problems on the chess tactics server, does anyone know of a good free website for positional training?
    i have never come across one, even in chess literature there are very few books
    that I am aware of, one or two of note being, You can be a positional chess genius
    by Angus Dunnington, Silmans Reassess your chess workbook. Micheal Steans,
    Simple chess is really excellent although i cant remember if it has problems like the
    other two.
  3. 27 Jul '12 20:26
    If you go over the whole game from where the tactical exercise came from
    you will see the positional play that led to it. (I'm talking about middle game tactics).
    The two are linked. The same game.

    Doing 20 odd puzzles a day is not studying tactics.
    It is solving 20 odd puzzles a day.

    Find one theme and study it, pull it to bits.
    Find out where it came from and how it happened.
    You are now studying tactics Store the pattern.

    Doing 20 odd puzzles a day is for keeping your mind fresh and the powder dry.
    'Before you can solve first you must see.'
    In an actual game there is no tap on shoulder. "OK Mate in 4."
    You must see it (the patterns) and then solve it.
  4. 27 Jul '12 20:51
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    If you go over the whole game from where the tactical exercise came from
    you will see the positional play that led to it. (I'm talking about middle game tactics).
    The two are linked. The same game.

    Doing 20 odd puzzles a day is not studying tactics.
    It is solving 20 odd puzzles a day.

    Find one theme and study it, pull it to bits.
    Find out wher ...[text shortened]... is no tap on shoulder. "OK Mate in 4."
    You must see it (the patterns) and then solve it.
    I'm doing about 10 puzzles a day, and reading 'how to beat your dad at chess', you know, the book your son wrote 😉. Going to move onto a book by Averbakh once I've worked through the mating patterns book.
  5. 27 Jul '12 21:03
    Good.

    Remember to set them up your board.

    (I'll refrain from using my Averbach joke.)

    I've changed my mind.

    My wife walked on me now I won't Averbach.
  6. 27 Jul '12 21:20
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Good.

    Remember to set them up your board.

    (I'll refrain from using my Averbach joke.)

    I've changed my mind.

    My wife walked on me now I won't Averbach.
    Go on then, tell us the joke ;-P
  7. 27 Jul '12 21:31 / 1 edit
    I see it's only the scots and welsh who aren't watching that carnival of imperial toss.
  8. 28 Jul '12 02:01
    I was watching it for about a minute, then turned the movie back on. We watched that 2nd Sherloc Holmes move. Somehow I don't think I spelled that name correctly. 🙂
  9. 28 Jul '12 02:26
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I was watching it for about a minute, then turned the movie back on. We watched that 2nd Sherloc Holmes move. Somehow I don't think I spelled that name correctly. 🙂
    You only watched the second move? there was more to the movie than a chess game you chess addict! 😠
  10. 28 Jul '12 03:02
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    You only watched the second move? there was more to the movie than a chess game you chess addict! 😠
    Well you know they kept playing without actually moving the pieces, it was really hurting my head 😀
  11. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    30 Jul '12 19:06
    In an actual game there is no tap on shoulder. "OK Mate in 4."

    Just last week at our library chess club, I was having trouble finishing off a beginner up about a rook bishop knight and three pawns and another player leaned over and said, "Mate in one." I was so embarrassed! but I had to laugh because of this bromide that I've often told my own students.
  12. 01 Aug '12 07:42
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    I've been doing tactical problems on the chess tactics server, does anyone know of a good free website for positional training?
    Chess tactics training - Improve your chess
    www.ideachess.com/
    The most innovative free chess tactics training site with over 70.000 interactive checkmate and tactics puzzles.