1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 May '16 13:411 edit
    This is a bit of an odd game, but i really like the final position. With the exception of one pawn exchange (to open up the h-file) every single piece is still on the board at the end. 😀

2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 May '16 06:45
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    This is a bit of an odd game, but i really like the final position. With the exception of one pawn exchange (to open up the h-file) every single piece is still on the board at the end. 😀

[pgn][Event "Casual game"]
    [Site "http://lichess.org/8QHWEKQR"]
    [Date "2016.05.05"]
    [White "marinkatomb"]
    [Black "Toru"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [WhiteElo "2007"]
    [Bla ...[text shortened]... 't actually move so any hope of bringing another piece to the Kingside is scuppered. } 1-0[/pgn]
    I don't understand why the "only one piece exchanged" thing is important.

In this game, White almost let his opponent off the hook by keeping the pace of the play so slow, even when it was to his advantage to speed it up. White probably figured that he could win as he liked since Black wasn't aware of basic chess principles such as controlling the center, developing pieces and contesting space.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    07 May '16 11:361 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I don't understand why the "only one piece exchanged" thing is important.

In this game, White almost let his opponent off the hook by keeping the pace of the play so slow, even when it was to his advantage to speed it up. White probably figured that he could win as he liked since Black wasn't aware of basic chess principles such as controlling the center, developing pieces and contesting space.
    I don't know about 'winning as i like'. Once the position closes in the center, most of my play is centered around comparing pieces. The white side has more space and consequently more moves. Most of my moves in this game are designed to maintain this advantage. I could have opened up the position earlier, this is true, but did I have to? If black is going to improve his position, he needs to free his pieces. For that he needs a pawn break or some pawn exchanges. I judged that I would improve my pieces before i opened up the position (without risking weakening my position in the process). Black could play better, but he is graded 2050 so he isn't exactly a patzer..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree