1. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 16:00
    While all the attention was on the Carlsen and company here are a couple positions from the Open section that I came across going over the games.

Tozer (2123) - Dukacwezki (2297)

At the moment of truth, Black plays Rd7? missing a very strong move.

Next up,

Rafalski (unr) - Green(1942)

White has just played Ng3 mostly likely with the hope of getting in a quick e4 black however has a nice combination to eliminate the Bishop pair.
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 16:12
    Hennigan (2388) - Lenier (2006)

In this position Black embarks on a very dangerous plan. After Nxe4 Bxe4 Bxh3 Re1 Bxa1 Qxa1 is black better?
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 23:41
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    While all the attention was on the Carlsen and company here are a couple positions from the Open section that I came across going over the games.

[fen]4q1k1/p1B2rbp/2pQb1p1/8/3pPP2/6P1/r5BP/2R2RK1 b - - 0 21[/fen]

Next up,

Rafalski (unr) - Green ...[text shortened]... hope of getting in a quick e4 black however has a nice combination to eliminate the Bishop pair.
    In that first diagram, I think I have had the position from both side at one time or another!
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 15:51
    A good game to do Kotov style analysis.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 08:51

[fen]4q1k1/p1B2rbp/2pQb1p1/8/3pPP2/6P1/r5BP/2R2RK1 b - - 0 21[/fen]

Next up,

Rafalski (unr) - Green ...[text shortened]... hope of getting in a quick e4 black however has a nice combination to eliminate the Bishop pair.
    will you put me out of my misery and post something with regard to the first position, i keep staring and staring at it an nothing is happening! 🙂
  6. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 09:06
    I wish you would have said which side was going to move before posting up the diagram. I spent a while looking at them wondering "Which move would White make?"

... Be5(?) No idea why. Just looks annoying and black wins a move for the piece with the Queen check.

... Ne4 Once again: No idea why. But in a reverse position with the Birds opening I generally play Ne5 really quickly to take out the bishop pair.

Hennigan (2388) - Lenier (2006)
    No. Black is in bad waters. The Queen side is blocked off and support cant be called quickly and Blacks king has no room to move with a very hungry looking Queen aiming straight for him. A follow up move for White, like, Bh6 threatens instant checkmate.

I should give up chess. Really.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 10:452 edits
    Originally posted by Tiwaking
    I wish you would have said which side was going to move before posting up the diagram. I spent a while looking at them wondering "Which move would White make?"

... Be5(?) No idea why. Just looks annoying and black wins a move for the piece with the Queen check.

... Ne4 Once again: N ...[text shortened]... up move for White, like, Bh6 threatens instant checkmate.

I should give up chess. Really.
    in the first position black has no less than three passed pawns! as we know passed pawns should be pushed, it looks like the d pawn could be used to create pressure on the white position, the problem is that ...d3 can be stopped with Rd1, therefore perhaps a move which seeks to prepare ...d3, for example ...Bg4 (making sure the rook cannot occupy d1), if h3 trying to kick the bishop, then the bishop comes to e2 with tempo and after the rook moves, ...d3 and both the bishop and pawn are immune!

also the whiter bishop on c7 looks a bit trapped, it cannot go to either the a or b file, and is defended solely by the queen, which as we know, is a very poor defender. A move like ...Qc8 attacking the bishop a second time? I think it fails to Rxc6

this is too hard, i should also give up chess!
  8. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 15:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    in the first position black has no less than three passed pawns! as we know passed pawns should be pushed, it looks like the d pawn could be used to create pressure on the white position, the problem is that ...d3 can be stopped with Rd1, therefore perhaps a move which seeks to prepare ...d3, for example ...Bg4 (making sure the rook cannot occupy d ...[text shortened]... ishop a second time? I think it fails to Rxc6

this is too hard, i should also give up chess!
    For diagram 1 d3 is definitely the move- but you have to see such lines like d3 Rfd1 d2! Rcb1 and then Bg4 forcing the exchange of the pawn Rxd2 Rxd2 Qxd2 and then Rxc7!
  9. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 15:14
    For Rafalski- Green the move is dxc4! (compare it to just playing g5 right away and you will see how the Knight gets access to g4) after Bxc4 g5! White has no good square to move the bishop forcing Be5 Nxe5 dxe5 we get this position

you get bonus points here if you saw Qxd1 Rxd1 Ng4 from the initial position.
  10. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 15:23
    In Hennigan- Lenier white gets a quick win after the moves 17.. f5 18 Bh6! Rf7

11. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 15:364 edits
    For diagram 1 d3 is definitely the move- but you have to see such lines like d3 Rfd1 d2! Rcb1 and then Bg4 forcing the exchange of the pawn Rxd2 Rxd2 Qxd2 and then Rxc7!
    Lol, right move for all the wrong reasons! yes its important to note that the queens horizon of movement is limited, any pretence of active defence is illusionary for she is stuck to looking after the bishop! thus the pawn is free to advance - brilliant position!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree