1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 02:00
    Usually when people post a tactical puzzle in here it's over my level and I have little chance of solving it. We have a lot of members rated in the low-mid teens, and I think I'd like to start posting interesting ones for us to solve.

So how do I go about posting the FEN and the PGN for the solution? For posting my games I use the 'copy pgn' feature, but that won't work for posting external positions.
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 02:27
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Usually when people post a tactical puzzle in here it's over my level and I have little chance of solving it. We have a lot of members rated in the low-mid teens, and I think I'd like to start posting interesting ones for us to solve.

So how do I go about posting the FEN and the PGN for the solution? For posting my games I use the 'copy pgn' feature, but that won't work for posting external positions.
    I assume you want to set up the problem as a pgn in an RHP interactive board? (not just a FEN diagram)

The way I would do it:

Set up the position in a chess GUI program like Arena, ChessPad, Winboard, or any of the commercial GUIs.

Enter the solution's moves into the GUI.

Copy the game pgn into your PC's clipboard. (It's really just a fen position plus a game fragment, but you can treat it as a full game. )

Paste the pgn into RHP just like you'd do for a game. (Sandwiched between the pgn codes)
  3. e4
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 02:47
    Once you have the game in your chess GUI program you can copy
    any position you wish and post it with [fen]position[fen]

The second fen must be [/fen].

Do a 'Reply & Quote' and you will see how it's done.

White to play.

Position reached 6 times on here - twice White has missed the shot
    and then went onto lose.
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 03:11
    Just about any decent GUI will allow you to paste either PGNs or FENs, depending on what you want to do.

Maybe Greenpawn is right, you might want to post just the FEN of the problem. If you post the PGN with the solution, it would be tempting for people to take a quick peek at the answer before really trying to solve it.
  5. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 08:501 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Once you have the game in your chess GUI program you can copy
    any position you wish and post it with [fen]position[fen]

The second fen must be [/fen].

Do a 'Reply & Quote' and you will see how it's done.

White to play.

[fen]rnbqkb1r/pp2pp1p/3p2p1/8/3NP1n1/2N1B3/PPP2PPP/R2QKB1R w KQkq - 0 7[/fen]

Position reached 6 times on here - twice White has missed the shot
    and then went onto lose.
    As I now have a low rating (I took one trip to get myself a cool internship and all the low rated players in the tourney timed me out 🙁) and previously missed this shot, I correct my mistake 😉

1. Bb5+ and whatever he blocks it with he looses the knight.

A new one, this one should be easy for you though....

6. Joined
    22 Sep '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 09:253 edits
    Originally posted by Gatusso
    As I now have a low rating (I took one trip to get myself a cool internship and all the low rated players in the tourney timed me out 🙁) and previously missed this shot, I correct my mistake 😉

1. Bb5+ and whatever he blocks it with he looses the knight.

A new one, this one should be easy for you though....

[fen]rnbqkbn1/ppppp3/7r/6pp/3P1p2/3BP1B1/PPP2PPP/RN1QK1NR w KQq - 0 1[/fen]
    This was a bizarre game.

Fantasy game:
  7. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 15:012 edits
    I really like this one, it may be hard to spot for someone around 1400 but it is a nice puzzle, I remember this one fondly (also, the pattern is one to remember, I had many quick knock-outs against lower rated players by using this trick):

8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 15:35
    Originally posted by Gatusso
    I really like this one, it may be hard to spot for someone around 1400 but it is a nice puzzle, I remember this one fondly (also, the pattern is one to remember, I had many quick knock-outs against lower rated players by using this trick):

[fen]r1b1k1nr/ppp2ppp/3p4/2qNn3/4PB2/8/PPP2PPP/R2QKB1R w KQkq - 0 1[/fen]
    My guess:
    Reveal Hidden Content
    1.b4 Qc6 2.Bb5 Qxb5 3.Nxc7

How would you lead Black into this position? It seems that it wouldn't be easy to get the black queen into that position.
  9. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 15:48
    Well, the motive is a premature queen move by black (you solution is correct of course), maybe he moved the queen before playing d6?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree