1. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 06:59
    Is there a practice board on rhp so i can work out some moves?
  2. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 07:04
    don't worry people!! i'll use analyse board
  3. washington
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 07:25
    the analysis board is the demise of true chess thinking and results in a huge raise in rating that has difficulty passing 1800. You have been forewarned.
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 10:28
    Originally posted by kmac27
    the analysis board is the demise of true chess thinking and results in a huge raise in rating that has difficulty passing 1800. You have been forewarned.
    I agree. I've raised the level of my games, and cut down on errors by printing the board with the current position, and using a standard chess set to study the position and generate my next move. 😏
  5. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 11:10
    I agree with what you say because i've commented on it in the forum before, but surely using a standard board is the same and will you not use either to surpass 1800
  6. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 18:54
    Agreed - I'm trying to ween myself off it on RHP so that I don't miss it OTB.

However, I blame my difficulty in passing 1800 on not actually being all that good, rather than on the analysis board 😉
  7. washington
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 19:30
    The analysis board is a crutch and does very little good after a while.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 19:59
    I disagree with the second part of your statement, although I agree that it is a danger. The analysis board removes the need to visualize the position as you calculate it. However you still need to spot all your opponents relevant possibilities, and you still need to calculate accurately. The RHP analysis board will not store variations (you have to use something like SCID, or pencil and paper for that) also it will not warn you if your variation includes illegal moves - you have to see that yourself.

If you only played correspondence chess then there would probably be a problem, but since you don´t there isn´t. Visualizing the position ahead and calculating with what you do see are related, but different skills. The advantage of having an analysis board is that you can teach yourself how to calculate, and learn about possibilities without having to hold future positions in your head. In fact I think it´s use can help develop your chess.

The problem most people have is that because they have far too many in progress games (me included 😛) this causes people - well me anyway - to spend a couple of minutes messing round on the analysis board and not calculating in a disciplined fashion. I think that if you want to play at a higher level then using the analysis board can allow that. But like most tools it is possible to misuse it, and it can hold you back if you are not self-disciplined in the way you use the thing.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 14:561 edit
    I'm at 1886 thanks to analyze board and I'm not a serious player by any stretch of the imagination.

I hate to say this because it sounds a little condescending (and I really don't mean it that way), but it seems to me that all you really need to do to get to the 1800 range is not commit dumb blunders and take advantage when your opponent does.

And, by the way, what's with all the people with the Antarctic "flag"? Are you all explorers or does it just look cool?
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 16:13
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'm at 1886 thanks to analyze board and I'm not a serious player by any stretch of the imagination.

I hate to say this because it sounds a little condescending (and I really don't mean it that way), but it seems to me that all you really need to do to get to the 1800 range is not commit dumb blunders and take advantage when your opponent does.

And, by t ...[text shortened]... all the people with the Antarctic "flag"? Are you all explorers or does it just look cool?
    Originally posted by sh76

I think most GMs would probably say the same thing regarding play at their level

it's just that as you move higher, the "dumb blunders" become ever more subtle and the "opportunities" become ever harder to exploit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree