1. Joined
    17 Nov '12
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 12:38
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    http://tinyurl.com/CarlsenAnandGames
    Right, Anand actually has a plus score against Carlsen. Doesn't seem a totally fair representation of their relative strengths though, because Carlsen seems to still be improving (at least he's much better than he was in his early teens when he played the first games). Anand, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have improved that much since the 90s.
  2. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 14:441 edit
    If this was Magnus vs Anand in his prime, Anand would win.

If Magnus wins it will be because Anand's play has deteriorated.
  3. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 15:08
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47

I agree with that, I've seen Anand play some very deep openings and sacrifices and they seem to be missing from carlsens game and might cause problems in a match. Carlsen does have that 'anti gm' style though and it clearly works.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 15:183 edits
    If the FIDE rating system is any good, then Carlsen should win.

P.S. I believe R.J. Fischer had a higher rating than Boris Spassky even though he had never beaten Spassky before the WC match.

I was right. The ratings were Fischer -- 2785, Spassky -- 2660 according to :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_1972
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 16:04
    Originally posted by e4chris
    I agree with that, I've seen Anand play some very deep openings and sacrifices and they seem to be missing from carlsens game and might cause problems in a match. Carlsen does have that 'anti gm' style though and it clearly works.
    I don't think these deep sacrifices are missing from Carlsens game because he doesn't see them, far from it! Play through a few of his games from when he was 14/15, his style was very tactical indeed as a junior! Carlsen takes a very 'Capablanca' approach to his games against the elite these days, why risk a sacrifice if you can gain a solid position advantage instead or a winning end game? It is in the latter phases of the game that is clearly superior, he's just playing to his strengths..
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 16:531 edit
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47

That is one of the main excuses given when any former World Champion is defeated. 😏

P.S. That would also be a good excuse for my OTB defeats now.
  7. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 17:02
    Remember, Magnus hasn't reached HIS prime yet!
  8. e4
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 18:14
    "Remember, Magnus hasn't reached HIS prime yet!"

We don't know that. Maybe this is as good as he is going to get...
    ....which is pretty damn good.

He's ranked number No1 (according to a four digit number) so how do we
    measure any future improvement.
    The World Champion is number one.
    As Nigel Short said. "He's not number one until he becomes the World Champion."
  9. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 20:24
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    "Remember, Magnus hasn't reached HIS prime yet!"

We don't know that. Maybe this is as good as he is going to get...
    ....which is pretty damn good.

True, but how many chessplayers reached their peaks at 22? Kasparov, for instance, peaked at 2851 when he was 36. I know he won the title at 22, but I don't think he still had reached his peak.
  10. Joined
    17 Nov '12
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 20:35
    This is relevant:
    http://www.indianexpress.com/news/carlsen-will-be-ridiculously-difficult-to-play-against/1096789/0
  11. e4
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 22:44
    Hi Woody.

But maybe he has gone as far as his natural talent has taken him.
    There are still some flaws (else he would win every game.)
    These have to be ironed out. He has six months.
    I still think he will do it.

I hear New York is putting in a bid for the match.
    I expect others to follow.

Maybe if we ask Russ he can put in a bid to play it on RHP.
    (Someone suggest it on Site Ideas.)
  12. Joined
    27 Feb '13
    Moves
    04 Apr '13 06:48
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

I think in this era the ELO system is a better gauge of skill than being the "WCC". Last WC match showed how retaining the title is a lot easier than winning it. A well above average but not dominant GM rides some nice blitz tiebreaker wins to qualify for a match with Anand. The match was weak enough to warrant Kasparov stating-

"Anand played the match terribly. But, it seems, Gelfand wasn't fated to win even against such a weakened opponent. Anand played the 2008 match against Kramnik excellently and acceptably against Topalov in 2010, but his current play is at a different level.........I would repeat again that the finished Title Match had no relation to determining the strongest chess player in the world".

How to get into such a candidates match? there's a few logical ones but then there are these- "Tournament organizers' nominee, Loser of the World Chess Championship 2010 match, Loser of the 2009 Challenger Match"

Maybe losing big events deserves it, but nominee? really????

There is a lot of romance tied to the title but I think a math system has more credibility.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Apr '13 11:151 edit
    Originally posted by Kareemelbadry
    Right, Anand actually has a plus score against Carlsen. Doesn't seem a totally fair representation of their relative strengths though, because Carlsen seems to still be improving (at least he's much better than he was in his early teens when he played the first games). Anand, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have improved that much since the 90s.
    Anand has a HUGE plus score against Magnus and the only early games M won were in blitz, an achievement in itself since Vishy is so good at blitz but it is worth noting M won in 2012 in a regular timed tournament game:

YouTube

Youtube with analysis.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Apr '13 21:427 edits
    That Jerry from the ChessNetwork does a good job of explaining that game.

This Canal-Sokolsky attack was first played against me by Kings and Pawns and he won the game. However, he played 5.d4 instead of c4. Since I lost that game, I tried it myself a couple of times. The 5.c4 in this game looks better than 5.d4.

Magnus Carlsen vs. Vishy Anand - 2012 Chess Masters Final - Bilbao

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree