I pick Carlsen.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 18:261 edit
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    I pick Carlsen.
    Considering Vish is old enough to be his father....
    BTW, does anyone know the date of the match? Or location?
  3. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 19:23
    Hardly to say.

Magnus is much younger, but Vishy is much more experienced in match play and probably will have better opening preparation which is especially important in matches.

Speaking on motivation - Vishy may have motivation to prove that Carlsen fans are wrong and he is able to hold his title.
  4. Joined
    27 Feb '13
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 19:28
    Magnus in a 2-0-x shutout
  5. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 19:572 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse

BTW, does anyone know the date of the match? Or location?
    6 to 26 November 2013 according to
    http://www.fide.com/index.php?option=com_fidecalendar&view=fidecalendar

Looks like there is no official site yet, but India is being considered according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2013
  6. e4
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 21:22
    Not going to sit on a fence on this one.

Carlsen has not yet reached his peak.......or maybe he has.
    If this tournament was it then Anand will win.

Expect a whole barrow load of different openings from both camps.
    Don't rule out King's Gambits. Scotch and Benoni's.
    The Latvian has yet to make it's World Final debut.....

India has first call but someone else may come with an offer both players
    and FIDE cannot turn down. India may have to be compensated.
  7. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 23:15
    Part of me wants the young Magnus to win, as he could then prove he truly is the best in the world by being both world no. 1 and world champion.

Although, if Anand rises to the challenge and does what we [honestly] know he can do, and beat Carlsen... it would silence his critics and be an important win,
    perhaps both for him and for the still relatively inexperienced Carlsen.

Either way we're all excited! It's BOUND to be way better than the last title match 😀
  8. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    02 Apr '13 23:55
    I think Anand will frustrate Carlsen. Magnus has almost no match experiance,and Anand does. Magnus will learn that it is much harder playing the same opponent day after day,unlike a tournament where you have to face different styles and openings every new game. Marshall was like that-he could beat anybody in a tournament,but when it came to matches,he got squashed by the big guns like Lasker and Capa.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 03:511 edit
    Originally posted by Pacifique
    Hardly to say.

Magnus is much younger, but Vishy is much more experienced in match play and probably will have better opening preparation which is especially important in matches.

Speaking on motivation - Vishy may have motivation to prove that Carlsen fans are wrong and he is able to hold his title.
    I think Carlsen proved that "experience" does't really matter, when he held his own against the "best player of all time" at thirteen.
  10. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 04:15
    Originally posted by vivify
    I think Carlsen proved that "experience" does't really matter, when he held his own against the "best player of all time" at thirteen.
    LOL
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 05:402 edits
    I see a lot of resemblances to Kasparov/Karpov 84. Karpov really taught Kasparov a serious lesson in the early stages of that match.

"Yes, you can beat the rest, but this is a match and i'm the King here!"

Carlsen and Kasparov don't make an easy comparison. Kasparov was an exceptional player, but his main strength was his psychological domination. He played like Tal in a lot of ways, Carlsen is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Anand has lost the World championship probably more time than he's won it (i don't want to get into specific counting here...anyone who has followed chess over the last 20 odd years will know what i mean).

The most telling moment in Anands career, for me, is not his winning the WC, or defending it. Not his loss to Kasparov. It was his loss to Karpov in the FIDE WC (can't remember that year, but it was during the 90's while the championship was still split between two federations...)

Anand came through a 100 player knock out (!!!!) and faced a totally fresh Karpov at the end. I've played through a lot of those games, Anand was electric! The odds were totally stacked against him in the end, Karpov was fresh as a daisy when they sat opposite each other. This is a testament to Anand. He lost this match, lost to Kasparov (was spanked!), all this, but he came back stronger. He has gone through the 'all conquering' tournament player phase and learned that fighting for the World championship is nothing to do with that. Winning a match when you are one of the two best players in the world, is not a tournament!

Carlsen is a fantastically gifted player! I feel his temperament will suit a match situation, his style is so pragmatic. But Anand is still an exceptionally hard man to beat!

I can't help feeling that Carlsens move to 'pinch' Anands second (Peter Hein Neilsen) may come back to haunt him. While i can appreciate Carlsens motives, PHN was one of his coaches as a junior, also he comes with lots of inside knowledge of Anands preparation technique, etc....

However, I can't help feeling that Anand is really in need of an 'airing of the closet' if you will. It just might happen that, by forcing Anand to recruit a new back room team, you might actually end up rejuvenation the whole package! Kramnik, over the last two years, has shown that these older guys are very capable of adapting to new circumstances. Kramnik probably should have beaten Carlsen in the Candidates, he was more consistent, but chess needs the Carlsen story. A young 22 year old prodigy, playing for the World championship? That is great copy, if the professional game is going to attract sponsors, we need this sort of publicity!

While i have lamented Anands demise over the last few years, coming into a World championship match as the Champion AND the underdog, might just spur this old Lion onto one last Blood stained victory! Whoever wins, there is no doubt that it will be epic!! I really can't wait. 😀😀😀😀
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 08:12
    When was the last time we saw Anand playing with any sort of enthusiasm? I'd always been a fan of his before he became World Champion, but I have to say that once he got the title all his drive and ambition seemed to leave him. I think he'll lose the match against Carlsen by a couple of games,
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 09:20
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    When was the last time we saw Anand playing with any sort of enthusiasm? I'd always been a fan of his before he became World Champion, but I have to say that once he got the title all his drive and ambition seemed to leave him. I think he'll lose the match against Carlsen by a couple of games,
    I tend to agree, Carlsen is hungry! However, does Anand want to go down as the mediocre World champion who held the title in the absence of someone brilliant? He'll go into this defense as the clear underdog, who knows, that might prove the motivation he needs...
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 10:47
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I tend to agree, Carlsen is hungry! However, does Anand want to go down as the mediocre World champion who held the title in the absence of someone brilliant? He'll go into this defense as the clear underdog, who knows, that might prove the motivation he needs...
    Has Carlsen ever played Vishy?
  15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 11:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Has Carlsen ever played Vishy?
    http://tinyurl.com/CarlsenAnandGames

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree