1. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 23:31
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    In which solution? In the first actual solution, the only one where the black king is next to d3 you should realize this is a hook mate from GPs blog. The rook covers d3.
    I mean in the first solution rjhinds gave he mentions after move four it would be mate but for the Knight move. I don't think it is because the King can move to d3 ... so no mate in five and the remark about the Knight move is incorrect.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 23:49
    Originally posted by Kegge
    I mean in the first solution rjhinds gave he mentions after move four it would be mate but for the Knight move. I don't think it is because the King can move to d3 ... so no mate in five and the remark about the Knight move is incorrect.
    oh. You mean g3.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 02:361 edit
    Yes, you are correct that the king can escape by 4...Kg3 in my first thoughts pgn where I say 4.Bf6+ would be checkmate if not for h7 knight. I overlooked that too.

However, I showed this thought mainly to show my first idea that led on to my finding the final solutions. This is were I first saw that the g7 bishop was in a bad place for a forced checkmate in 5 and that it would be better placed at d4 before I begin those checks with the rook, knight and the other bishop.

I showed this resulting idea in the second pgn with the g7 bishop relocated to d4 with White to move and demostrated the forced checkmate in 4 moves. I had already given up on the idea of a forced checkmate in 5 starting with the double-check move.

Then is when I decided that maybe the first move was Bd4 and began investigating what Black could do in response. From there I started eliminating Black responses until I got to 1...h1=N and realized my original plan had to be altered again.

The 3rd pgn shows the first real solution to the checkmate in 5 for 2...Nb3+ and the final pgn the solution in case of 2...Nc4.

I thought it might be of interest to others how I came about these weird looking beginning moves in this very difficult problem for me.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 04:30
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I thought it might be of interest to others how I came about these weird looking beginning moves in this very difficult problem for me.
    Yes, it is very amusing to hear you try to explain how "you" did it. 😀
  5. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 08:17
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    oh. You mean g3.
    .?? I have no idea why I wrote d3 instead of g3 ... But that is what i meant. I posted this because it is these type of things i don't get.

I read these topics to learn something about chess. Here we have Hinds, 2200+ rating, setting up the board, making notations, specifically mentioning that it would be checkmate but for the knight move ... How can he overlook such a thing considering his rating? I immediatly noticed the king move .... And I have never reached higher than 1500 and a bit.

Is it this type of advice i need to follow hinds?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 10:201 edit
    .?? I have no idea why I wrote d3 instead of g3 ... But that is what i meant. I posted this because it is these type of things i don't get.

I read these topics to learn something about chess. Here we have Hinds, 2200+ rating, setting up the board, making notations, specifically mentioning that it would be checkmate but for the knight move ... How can he ov ...[text shortened]... never reached higher than 1500 and a bit.

Is it this type of advice i need to follow hinds?
    I am not near 2200+ over the board. So I am not asking you to follow any of my advice. It may not work for you and it does not always work for me. I was only trying to point out that you need to figure out a plan of action, even if it might be wrong as in my case.

Now if I had been playing an OTB game, I would have started out thinking along those lines and I would have never solved the problem in the short time one has OTB. I certainly make stupid moves OTB and miss things just like that. Now your mind may start out with a different plan to begin with and if you are lucky you will solve it quickly. I have been working on this for a couple of days and moved the pieces all kinds of ways before I decided on a slightly different course of action was needed. If I were a master I might have seen the solution in a couple minutes instead.

I may have been lucky to eventually see the initial correct first move, but I also believe it had something to do with understanding why my orignal idea did not work. How I think may not be of any help to anyone. I just thought someone might find it interesting how I came up with my solutions.

I have read that the double check is the strongest move in chess and when I immediately saw it, I though that is the move. But in the puzzle I believe that was what I was supposed to think to lead me in into the wrong plan.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree