1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 14:45
    http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2010/10/computer-makes-the-winning-mov.html

It did not beat a world champ but a top ranked woman, which seems to be ok in the Japanese Shogi association. They do not allow pro men to play computers, only one such game was played in 2007 where the man beat the comp. Now the computer program is stronger so they are seeing if they will allow a pro man to play it. They are afraid of being beaten by computers it seems.
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '10
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 15:512 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 16:17
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2010/10/computer-makes-the-winning-mov.html

It did not beat a world champ but a top ranked woman, which seems to be ok in the Japanese Shogi association. They do not allow pro men to play computers, only one such game was played in 2007 where the man beat the comp. Now the computer program is stronger s ...[text shortened]... if they will allow a pro man to play it. They are afraid of being beaten by computers it seems.
    I've never come across this game before. What amazes me most about this article is that there is Buddhist word for 10 to the power 224 (Akara). 😕
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 19:11
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I've never come across this game before. What amazes me most about this article is that there is Buddhist word for 10 to the power 224 (Akara). 😕
    For one thing, I didn't know Buddhism was considered a language! And what possible use would they have had for that specific quantity? The big difference in shogi is the cannon, it fires over the first guy in line and hits the first enemy in line like a rook but jumps but it doesn't matter how many spaces there are between the cannon, the friendly man and the enemy on the other side, 1 square, 2 squares, 6 squares, doesn't matter, it has an unerring aim🙂
  5. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 20:595 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    For one thing, I didn't know Buddhism was considered a language! And what possible use would they have had for that specific quantity? The big difference in shogi is the cannon, it fires over the first guy in line and hits the first enemy in line like a rook but jumps but it doesn't matter how many spaces there are between the cannon, the friendly man and t ...[text shortened]... y on the other side, 1 square, 2 squares, 6 squares, doesn't matter, it has an unerring aim🙂
    Uhm, I the cannon is present in chinese chess (Xiangqi), I play shogi and the only pieces are: king, gold generals, silver generals, knights, lances, rook, bishop and pawns. None of them move like you described, the lances move straight ahead any number of square but cant go back and cant jump over pieces.

More people should try shogi, its a very tactical game with insane combinations due to the drop rule (captured pieces are moved to a stand next to the board and can be brought into play anywhere on the board instead of making a move) and the many opportunities for promotion.

The great hurdle is learning the chinese (yep, chinese) characters (kanji) though, but once youre past that its a great game, sometimes more enjoyable than chess. The game has a higher degree of complexity than chess and so top players have not yet been beaten by computers. The Kasparov of shogi is called Yoshiharu Habu, he is still active and arguably the greatest shogi player in history.

Anyone interested in shogi should watch the Hidetchi videos (especially the shogi lessons) on youtube, great stuff!
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Oct '10 22:18
    Originally posted by Gatusso
    Uhm, I the cannon is present in chinese chess (Xiangqi), I play shogi and the only pieces are: king, gold generals, silver generals, knights, lances, rook, bishop and pawns. None of them move like you described, the lances move straight ahead any number of square but cant go back and cant jump over pieces.

More people should try shogi, its a very tactical ...[text shortened]... n shogi should watch the Hidetchi videos (especially the shogi lessons) on youtube, great stuff!
    I stand corrected. Yeah, I should have remembered that, was taught Chinese chess in Thailand, I worked there for a few years. There are a lot of Chinese there up north.
    Also was taught Mok Luk, Thai version of chess, queen is the weakest man on the board.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree