1. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 05:12
    What is the best program to examine and annotate games (completed games only)? Are any available that will examine more than one game at at time (a batch)?
  2. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 05:36
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    What is the best program to examine and annotate games (completed games only)? Are any available that will examine more than one game at at time (a batch)?
    Chessbase is the best i've seen but i don't keep tabs on chess software. However, i do know you can have multiple windows open with different games. I don't know of a software that will do these things for you if that is what you're asking.
  3. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 08:46
    I've used Fritz (Blunder Check and Full analysis) but I guess that using annotate with good old Crafty is going to reveal pretty much the same mistakes as the commercial programs.

- b
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 15:19
    Fritz
  5. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 01:07
    I've used Crafty, but is there any way to examine a whole list of completed games?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 01:35
    I've used Crafty, but is there any way to examine a whole list of completed games?
    hi, in chessbase you can select an entire database and merge it, so what happens is that in the annotations widow, you get every conceivable variation from the games played in that data base. I dont know if this is helpful - regards Robbie.
  7. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 14:28
    Using the Fritz GUI, you can open the database window and from there analyse multiple games in that database.

Arena has an option to analyse PGN files, and it's a free interface.
  8. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 15:42
    Maybe I'm using the wrong words ... I want a program to annotate my old OTB games, not just analyze. I don't want to do each one individually; I'd want to do them all in a batch even if takes days to complete.
  9. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 16:21
    Maybe I'm using the wrong words ...
    I think we're talking about the same thing. 🙂

You supply multiple games in one file... you tell the computer to analyse all games in the file... you then leave the computer to do so.... when you return, all the games have annotations in the form of variations the computer thinks is better than what was played. The analysis is configurable in terms of how long the computer spends on each position, etc.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 00:171 edit
    Maybe I'm using the wrong words ... I want a program to annotate my old OTB games, not just analyze. I don't want to do each one individually; I'd want to do them all in a batch even if takes days to complete.
    Fritz does that. I know because I've had Fritz perform full analysis on batches of games while I sleep, exercise, cruise the web, work, watch television, etc. I've had the engine annotate so many games that I've had to replace a couple of CPU fans--the engine generates a bit of heat when it runs for many hours on end. I've used Fritz 7, Fritz 8, Fritz 9, and Fritz 11 GUIs, and I've used no less than twenty different engines within these GUIs to perform the annotations.

Even Robbolito can perform this analysis and generate annotations within the Fritz GUI, but you cannot use Robbolito to play in the engine room at Playchess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree