Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    09 Jul '06 19:39
    J.J.Lois and R.Osorio
    Messigny 2006

    PG in 15.5 moves
    (White just made move 15; find the gamescore)
  2. 09 Jul '06 20:00
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    J.J.Lois and R.Osorio
    Messigny 2006
    [fen]1n2k1nr/2rp1ppp/1Qp1pR2/pP6/3PNN2/5PPP/1PP1Pqbb/2BK1B1R b k - 0 16[/fen]
    PG in 15.5 moves
    (White just made move 15; find the gamescore)
    don't you mean white just made move 16.?
  3. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    09 Jul '06 21:16
    Originally posted by aginis
    don't you mean white just made move 16.?
    Yes. Thanks for pointing it out.
  4. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    14 Jul '06 16:28
    bump
  5. 15 Jul '06 01:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    J.J.Lois and R.Osorio
    Messigny 2006
    [fen]1n2k1nr/2rp1ppp/1Qp1pR2/pP6/3PNN2/5PPP/1PP1Pqbb/2BK1B1R b k - 0 16[/fen]
    PG in 15.5 moves
    (White just made move 15; find the gamescore)
    Ga! - best i could do was 20. -- 3 different ways of getting 20.
  6. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    15 Jul '06 06:43
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    Ga! - best i could do was 20. -- 3 different ways of getting 20.
    White needs:

    Q 3
    R 2
    N 4
    P 6
    K 1
    ----
    16 moves minimum.

    When solving, make sure you never move the Queen more than three times, or the Rook more than 2 times, etc. Also, because white only has 16 moves total, all moves you consider must directly serve towards getting a piece to its diagrammed position.
  7. Standard member Peakite
    Sais
    15 Jul '06 21:47
    Now I've been trying this with pen and paper, no board other than one sudoku grid (they now have a point).

    As already stated white has only the sixteen moves. I thought the rook has to be in place quite quickly as it'll interfere with the black moves (2R, 2 each B, 2Q, 4P for a total twelve, allowing three 'waiting' moves). The black P must be on b5 to be captured. To allow the knights in position before the f,g and h pawns advance, the Q and Bs can wait on the third rank. Whites knight on b1 moves first to cover the black squared bishop which is released first. The black Q needs to be in position on e3 before d4 is played, meaning the black squared bishop is last to develop.

    Anyway, my solution:

    1) a4 b5
    2) axb5 Bb7
    3) Ra6 Bf3
    4) Rf6 c6
    5) Nc3 Qb6
    6) Ne4 Qe3
    7) d4 e6
    8) Qd2 Bd6
    9) Qa5 Bg3
    10) Qb6 a5
    11) Nh3 Ra7
    12) Nf4 Rc7
    13) h3 Bh2
    14) g3 Bg2
    15) f3 Qf2+
    16) Kd1
  8. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    16 Jul '06 05:33
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Now I've been trying this with pen and paper, no board other than one sudoku grid (they now have a point).

    As already stated white has only the sixteen moves. I thought the rook has to be in place quite quickly as it'll interfere with the black moves (2R, 2 each B, 2Q, 4P for a total twelve, allowing three 'waiting' moves). The black P must be on b5 to be ...[text shortened]... Qa5 Bg3
    10) Qb6 a5
    11) Nh3 Ra7
    12) Nf4 Rc7
    13) h3 Bh2
    14) g3 Bg2
    15) f3 Qf2+
    16) Kd1
    Good use of logic. That's the intended solution.