1. Joined
    05 May '10
    Moves
    05 May '10 22:25
    Hey all,

was having a discussion at the chess club last night with the resident (and ardent!) defender of Bird's Opening, and so the discussion turned to From's Gambit.

Eventually, the conclusion was reached that From's Gambit was unsound, and the reason it was unsound is because Eric Schiller wrote a book entitled "A Gambit Repertoire for Black", and although the book has a section on Flank Openings, it does not include a section on From's Gambit.

I contend that the book in question (which I own, and actually found very useful) was meant to be a smaller volume, and it isn't that the From's Gambit is necessarily unsound, it's that the Bird's is so bad that Black can do far better by just playing conventionally.

Thoughts?
  2. e4
    Moves
    05 May '10 22:331 edit
    It may not be in the book because after 1.f4 e5 2.e5 would
    take it out of the sphere of the book and into mainline King's Gambit.

The reasoning that it is unsound because it is not mentioned
    in a Schiller book is beyond me. Some would claim that the fact
    it is NOT mentioned in a Schiller book makes it all the more sound.
  3. Joined
    05 May '10
    Moves
    05 May '10 22:43
    Well, the line of reasoning went:

1) Schiller will publish theory on openings of questionable merit.
    2) Schiller did not include this gambit for Black specifically in a book essentially titled "black Gambits".
    3) Therefore, From's Gambit didn't even meet his lowly standards, because it's not that good.

For the record, he gambits he recommends aren't that horrible (Scandinavian, geared towards Icelandic / Portugese versus 1.e4 and Schara Gambit + several offbeat QG lines vs 1.d4).
  4. e4
    Moves
    05 May '10 23:201 edit
    I'd say the From's is OK for Black at under 1900 level.

Just did a Quick check on the RHP DB.

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Chess-c210000170?dispSortId=1&byocList=t210004777

After 2...d6 Black is 50% wins v 39% at games between 1400-1900's.
    Possibly more than that as games under 10 moves do appear on it
    and I suspect there are a whole load of quick Black wins where White
    plays an h3 and gets mated by Bg3 which are not shown.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 May '10 00:091 edit
    white gets a good game if he knows what he's doing, but I doubt it could be claimed unsound just for that. and it's by no means losing for black, and a draw is enough for black to be sound, right?

the cons for black? white will usually have much more experience against it, because you get a LOT of froms playing 1.f4. in fact I always premove fxe because it's so frequent. just like you get stauntons as a dutch player. it's the first thing you book up against.

but it is tricky, and especially in blitz white can easily drop something. but so can black, and often does.

as a surprise weapon? well, frankly it's more of a surprise when black actually knows what to do in the mainline past move 7.
  6. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    06 May '10 00:15
    Originally posted by Morphyesque
    Well, the line of reasoning went:

1) Schiller will publish theory on openings of questionable merit.
    2) Schiller did not include this gambit for Black specifically in a book essentially titled "black Gambits".
    3) Therefore, From's Gambit didn't even meet his lowly standards, because it's not that good.

For the record, he gambits he recommends are ...[text shortened]... s Icelandic / Portugese versus 1.e4 and Schara Gambit + several offbeat QG lines vs 1.d4).
    His recommendations aren't bad but his analysis ranges from lazy and unchecked to downright malicious.
  7. Joined
    05 May '10
    Moves
    06 May '10 01:24
    Originally posted by randolph
    His recommendations aren't bad but his analysis ranges from lazy and unchecked to downright malicious.

It's funny you mention that, because he devotes a small chapter under the Scandinavian section on what to do against Blackmar-Diemer psycopaths who play 2.e4, and takes a nice pot shot against Diemer's shoddy analysis ("10.Nxf7.. is this sacrifice s ...[text shortened]... n player who has said anything BUT "ugh, not the Smith-Morra!" in the post-mortem.
  8. Joined
    05 May '10
    Moves
    06 May '10 01:25
    It's funny you mention that, because he devotes a small chapter under the Scandinavian section on what to do against Blackmar-Diemer psycopaths who play 2.e4, and takes a nice pot shot against Diemer's shoddy analysis ("10.Nxf7.. is this sacrifice sound? The literature suggests that it is, but analysis suggests that it is not.. [two moves of analysis later] .. and the white queen is trapped!! This little problem didn't stop Diemer from awarding himself two exclamation marks for the wretched move Nxf7" )

That's one thing about the From's Gambit.. our resident Bird's player talked about our first and only game played to date where he had white, and he mentioned that he was actually hoping that I would have played the From's instead of just setting up a generic "d5/c5/Bd6/Nc6 and play for an ..e5 break" system, because as he said, he was "more than ready" for the From's Gambit.

Compare that to, say, the Smith-Morra against the Sicilian, which may have a similar assessment (it isn't bad, but you can realistically expect more in the main lines, so choose this for psychological value only) but I have yet to meet a Sicilian player who has said anything BUT "ugh, not the Smith-Morra!" in the post-mortem.
  9. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    06 May '10 02:23
    Hey, careful who you're calling a psychopath

half this forum responds to 1... d5 with 2. d4 🙂
  10. Joined
    05 May '10
    Moves
    06 May '10 02:56
    Hey, careful who you're calling a psychopath

half this forum responds to 1... d5 with 2. d4 🙂
    Oh, are there Blackmar-Diemer players on this forum.. I'm sorry, I didn't know.. I'll try and use "less big" words 😛
  11. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    06 May '10 06:14
    Originally posted by Morphyesque
    Thoughts?
    Froms gambit isnt 'unsound', it just isnt worth it.

1. f4! e5? 2. fxe5 d6 3. e4 dxe5

And we have no problems.

If you mean the hard core:

1.f4! e5 2. fxe5 d6 3. exd6 Bxd6

Then the automatic: Nf6, g3, Bg2, Nc3 with an eye on 0-0, Kh1

....I guess if you werent familiar with the Froms gambit, then you may have trouble. Thing is: If you're not familiar with the Froms gambit, why are you playing the Birds Opening anyway?
  12. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    06 May '10 07:011 edit
    Hi Tiwaking. I don`t recommend 3.e4 since

Looks like it might be scary for white.

Black also is doing super well on the dark squares after 3...dxe5 4.Nf3 Bc5 if he doesn`t wanna play the Queen check.
  13. Joined
    04 May '05
    Moves
    06 May '10 09:14
    The From gambit can't be dismissed by the fact that it is not mentioned by Schiller. Even if he had mentioned it and even claimed to refute it, I would still not blindly buy his analysis or conclusions.

See Stefan Bücker's Kaissiber. In issue 36 (Jan-Mar 2010), there is a 21p article by Volker Hergert. The discussion centers on the following variations:

1.f4 e5 2.fxe4

A) 2...Nc6 3.Nf3 g5
    A1) 4.d4
    A2) 4.h3!

B) 2...d6 3.exd6 Bxd6 4.Nf3
    B1) 4...g5
    B2) 4...Nf6!

"Proof that the From's Gambit is unsound...?"
    well, can't find anything that amount to proof in this thread so far.
    For those who think that the From is unsound, please post the actual refutation.

Reg, Paul
  14. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    06 May '10 11:39
    Originally posted by National Master Dale
    Hi Tiwaking. I don`t recommend 3.e4 since
    Looks like it might be scary for white.

Black also is doing super well on the dark squares after 3...dxe5 4.Nf3 Bc5 if he doesn`t wanna play the Queen check.
    Oops. Apologies. My move order was incorrect. I got mixed up with:

1. f4! e5? 2. e4 <- The trusty Kings Gambit.

The correct move order is:

1. f4! e5? 2. fxe5 d6 3. Nf3 dxe5

As suggested by GM Henrik Danielsen as a good alternative because, quote:

'If you have family, work and children. You might need an opening which is not so theoretical
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 May '10 12:17
    Originally posted by Tiwaking
    1. f4! e5? 2. fxe5 d6 3. Nf3 dxe5

As suggested by GM Henrik Danielsen as a good alternative because, quote:

'If you have family, work and children. You might need an opening which is not so theoretical
    yeah, declining from's gambit works pretty well, especially in blitz. usually the opponents hit a wall right after 3.Nf3 and you're 30s up on clock after the first 6 moves. it's like they never even considered the possibility of declining it.

well, I guess it's not really declining it as you take the pawn, albeit just for one move. but anyway...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree