1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '13 19:391 edit
    Originally posted by Stamp
    On chessgames it's mentioned as Lindemann vs Echtermeyer, Kiel 1893.
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1242985
    Greenpawn is getting mixed up with this one, which was Tarrasch -vs- Alapin (1889).

According to one of the comments on the chessgames.com site (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1242980):

...this was a case of the touch-move rule resulting in an immediate debacle. Because Alapin had expected 5 d4 and not 5 d3, he immediately reached for the B, as he was going to play 5 ... Be7 in reply to d4; however, upon seeing that Tarrasch had indeed played 5 d3 and his knight was attacked, he was unable to do anything about it, as he was obligated to play 5 ... Be7 (the only legal move of the B) having touched the piece ...

I'm not surprised that Greenpawn's memory let him down as it is well over a hundred years since he witnessed the games being played.
  2. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '13 21:10
    What would happen if one touched a piece that could not make a legal move, and also one's king could not make a legal move?

Example: black touches a rook on his first move.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '13 23:59
    Originally posted by SmittyTime
    What would happen if one touched a piece that could not make a legal move, and also one's king could not make a legal move?

Again, rules vary. If this happens in my local league the player concerned has to undo his flies and spend the rest of the game with his "minor piece" hanging out.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 01:03
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Again, rules vary. If this happens in my local league the player concerned has to undo his flies and spend the rest of the game with his "minor piece" hanging out.
    What do you mean by "undo his files"? Can you post a diagram of what you mean?
  5. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 01:23
    Originally posted by vivify
    What do you mean by "undo his files"? Can you post a diagram of what you mean?
    Trust me, you don't want a diagram of that.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 04:02
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    Trust me, you don't want a diagram of that.
    That player would be mad at Fat Lady for refering his piece as "minor".
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 05:21
    That would not be "Proper OTB Etiquette" would it?
  8. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 22:43
    leave his bishop exposed? 😲
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 09:12
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Most people have the dexterity to pick up their own piece then pick up the opponents piece and replace it with one hand. Then use the opponents piece to knock down the button on the clock just to rub it in.
    ^This exactly.
  10. Joined
    29 Sep '10
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 22:20
    Opponents often talk - albeit briefly - during a game. Maybe they're going to make a cup of tea and want to offer their opponent one. Perhaps they're excited by the game and want to express that with a "good game" and a waggle of the eyebrows. In all cases, however, it is very inconsiderate to interrupt your opponent when they are thinking. For this reason you should never initiate communication unless it's your move (and your clock is ticking.)

That said, conversation is not "fine." There are usually others trying to concentrate around you and in these circumstances even whispering may be intolerably loud! Keep it short, smile and be considerate. Then shut up and play on.

If you want to offer a draw then do so after moving and as you operate the clock. Offering a draw when you haven't moved is silly: how long are you going to let your clock tick down whilst they consider the offer? Only offer a draw if you think it plausible that they may accept. If you're losing, don't be afraid to play on and try to get something. Many draws have been agreed because the stronger side gets into time trouble, for example.

When claiming a win on time, just point at the clock and tell your opponent that their out of time and you're claiming the win. Don't be precious about it and don't start apologising profusely. Sympathise, yes, but claim the win, it's your game.

I always place my King on it's side when I resign. It's the way mama raised me. Some people just stop the clocks. Others shrug and extend the hand. When a position is resignable, and you stop the clock, it's obvious to everyone concerned what's going on. Some people worry about when the 'right' time to resign is. Don't worry about that. Play on as long as you want.

Use the hand you moved with to operate the clock. When capturing, it's entirely fine to pick up the piece you want to capture with one hand and make your move with the other hand. The rule is not intended to cause mobility issues when capturing a piece. The purpose is to ensure that you have made your move when you operate the clock.

I often stand behind my opponents when they're thinking. Sometimes I do it for the view, other times I'm observing my opponent rather than the game. I try not to distract my opponent, but if they are the sort to get uncomfortable with me there then that's fine by me. If they turn to look at me then I smile benignly.

I do other things too. If I can, I wear red rather than blue. I might make a tricky move then go for a cigarette. Perhaps they will want to move faster and cause me to lose time. Perhaps for moving faster they will move worse. I try to always appear as relaxed and care free as possible. Chess is stressful and you play on that as well as on the board. That's just competition.
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 01:11
    Originally posted by Deau
    Opponents often talk - albeit briefly - during a game. Maybe they're going to make a cup of tea and want to offer their opponent one. Perhaps they're excited by the game and want to express that with a "good game" and a waggle of the eyebrows. In all cases, however, it is very inconsiderate to interrupt your opponent when they are thinking. For this reason you ...[text shortened]... and you play on that as well as on the board. That's just competition.
    I bought a Shogi set for my father for Christmas, although we haven't played yet. This story may illustrate the stressfulness, perhaps even mental violence, of chess (or not, as the case may be):

Apparently the mainly US-led occupational government after WWII, nearly banned Shogi because it was thought that the use of captured pieces (they can be used by the capturing player) could promote prisoner abuse, but it was successfully argued by a top professional player that chess was more likely to cause prisoner abuse because pieces are "killed" rather than having the opportunity to get back in the game, which is actually more democratic!

I must say I'd never thought about chess in that way, but perhaps when we learn to play as youngsters our minds do imagine the killing of the opposing pieces, inspired by our violent comic-book and computer game heroes. I feel it's a bit of a stretch to argue chess can lead to prisoner abuse, though, but perhaps emotions ran higher back then.

I do feel not being able to talk, or feeling unable to, induces stress. Can't quite put my finger on why. I guess I should just never play chess to strict rules, just keep it casual or online. I can't see the benefit of smoking during a game, even away from the board. I would have thought it would increase your own stress and reduce your ability to concentrate.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 01:20
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I bought a Shogi set for my father for Christmas, although we haven't played yet. This story may illustrate the stressfulness, perhaps even mental violence, of chess (or not, as the case may be):

Apparently the mainly US-led occupational government after WWII, nearly banned Shogi because it was thought that the use of captured pieces (they can be ...[text shortened]... ld have thought it would increase your own stress and reduce your ability to concentrate.
    The smoker blows the smoke in the other player's face in an attempt to keep him from concentrating. It was done to me in a game that I played over 30 years ago when I was still in the US Army.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 01:23
    Originally posted by SmittyTime

Nothing. It would be ignored.
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 10:14
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The smoker blows the smoke in the other player's face in an attempt to keep him from concentrating. It was done to me in a game that I played over 30 years ago when I was still in the US Army.
    I hope that is now against the rules!
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 12:31
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I hope that is now against the rules!
    In the USA, practically all areas inside buildings are off limits to smoking now. I am not sure about other countries.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree