1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 23:14
    I like the queen pawn openings of Colle system and reverse Dutch stonewall. A more adv. friend who only likes the Colle says, the reverse Stonewall moves the weak f2 pawn to f4 too soon. I am interested in other opinions on reverse Stonewall for white.
  2. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 23:21
    Never seen this. Are you not blocking your bishop in?
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 23:57
    Originally posted by ladyviola66
    I like the queen pawn openings of Colle system and reverse Dutch stonewall. A more adv. friend who only likes the Colle says, the reverse Stonewall moves the weak f2 pawn to f4 too soon. I am interested in other opinions on reverse Stonewall for white.
    here's kramnik beating fritz with it, commented by gm danielsen, the dutch hero:

YouTube
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 00:06
    Originally posted by wormwood
    here's kramnik beating fritz with it, commented by gm danielsen, the dutch hero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqxFvVXeaKw
    I noticed that in one of your contributed games that you started with 1.f4, how are you finding it, do you also play the dutch as black. i tried the 'polar bear system', but failed miserably to make any inroads with it although this is probably due to a lack of real understanding on my part.

i kind of guessed from some of your other posts that you like the dragon as black, and i suppose that the dutch with reversed colours would suit a dragon player, as its like a dragon with reversed colours as well, especially with bishop on b3 etc etc.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    07 Sep '08 00:222 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I noticed that in one of your contributed games that you started with 1.f4, how are you finding it, do you also play the dutch as black. i tried the 'polar bear system', but failed miserably to make any inroads with it although this is probably due to a lack of real understanding on my part.

i kind of guessed from some of your other posts that y ...[text shortened]... yer, as its like a dragon with reversed colours as well, especially with bishop on b3 etc etc.
    yeah, I play leningrad both as white and black. white is better for me, because there's practically no theory. I've played around 1000 games in it so it tends to be advantageous for me. can't say that I was even close mastering it though, but usually I know the positions better than my opponents.

with black I'm very much a beginner still, just learning the ropes and making a lot of mistakes. and people can book up or db in it, which can't happen with the reversed leningrad. but they complement each other nicely, and most things apply to the other.

one of the initial reasons of getting into fianchettoed openings, was that I had huge trouble playing with 'weakened' kingside pawns. so I started deliberately pushing them, learning to cope in those type of positions. first I went for KID, then dragon, then finally to leningrad. along the way I learned to love aggressive kingside attacks with pawns, and the weakness turned into a strength.

I've still got a lot to learn, but yeah, I like it a lot.
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 22:34
    yes, but, the opponent has to ex pawns or pieces. It gives the bishop 2 diagonals that block knight approaches by opponent.

The downfall is getting the front lopped off and the bishop with no pieces to take on the way down.
  7. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '08 22:37
    I haven't implemented regular stonewall yet (black). It's on my "to do" list. I liked the fiancchetod bishops, which is why I like sicilian dragon also. It makes for a nice rook attack later, or an achor for knights and pawns. It can leave 0-0 weaker later in the game, though.
  8. Joined
    25 Mar '07
    Moves
    12 Sep '08 04:10
    This is horribly juvenile and not even close to being on topic, but to me "Reverse Dutch Stonewall" totally sounds like a really freaky sex position.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree