Q for the Grob enthusiasts

Q for the Grob enthusiasts

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 May 07

Originally posted by z00t
The definition of what the grob is on wikipedia and here are different so give the lines you are saying are the grob.
1.g4 - that is the Grob.

z

Moves
09 May 07

Originally posted by Korch
1.g4 - that is the Grob.
Okay 1. g4? e5

How is black worse? White has just wasted his first move and got a weakness.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 May 07
3 edits

Okay [b]1. g4? e5

How is black worse? White has just wasted his first move and got a weakness.[/b]
Did I said that black is worse? Position is about equal. As I have mentioned in one of the previous threads there are also other playable openings like 1.Nf3, 1.b3, 1.g3 1.b4 in which white does not pretend to opening advantage but only wants get playable middle game positions which they like to play.

On 1.g4 e5 white can simply respond for example 2.d3

P.S. 2.Bg2 and 2.h3 are playable too.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
09 May 07

Okay [b]1. g4? e5

How is black worse? White has just wasted his first move and got a weakness.[/b]
Okay this is getting annoying. To refute a white opening, black must be in a position that is considered equal or better than whites. 1. g4 actually does that without black even having to move; this is the general consensus among masters, engines, and the majority of the rest of the chess playing world. The move gives up control of the center, and, often, a pawn. This enough is refutation.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by ih8sens
Okay this is getting annoying. To refute a white opening, black must be in a position that is considered equal or better than whites. 1. g4 actually does that without black even having to move; this is the general consensus among masters, engines, and the majority of the rest of the chess playing world. The move gives up control of the center, and, often, a pawn. This enough is refutation.
I disagree with statement

"To refute a white opening, black must be in a position that is considered equal or better than whites."

According to such "logic" all white openings which does not start with 1.e4 or 2.d4 are refuted.

In my opinion white opening is refuted if white can`t avoid lines which gives significant advantage for black.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
09 May 07

I disagree with statement

"To refute a white opening, black must be in a position that is considered equal or better than whites."

According to such "logic" all white openings which does not start with 1.e4 or 2.d4 are refuted.

In my opinion white opening is refuted if white can`t avoid lines which gives significant advantage for black.
A pawn and the center seems to me to be a significant advantage.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
09 May 07

there are many hyper-modern styles of play that allow white controll of the center and black aims to later undermine the center and prove it weak... so this may be just a hyper-modern style of play for white.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
09 May 07

Originally posted by ChessJester
there are many hyper-modern styles of play that allow white controll of the center and black aims to later undermine the center and prove it weak... so this may be just a hyper-modern style of play for white.
but they don't give away a pawn with little to no chance of restoration of both the material and the center.

ps: did I mention I don't like hypermodern chess 😀

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 May 07

Such old-fashioned and dogmatic views have nothing common with modern chess.

Or can you prove your point with particular lines?

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
09 May 07

Such old-fashioned and dogmatic views have nothing common with modern chess.

Or can you prove your point with particular lines?
Yah sure..
Here's 1 line that I'm confident gives black a substantial advantage (and fritz agrees).

1. g4, d5 2. Bg2, Bxg4

Looks good to me 🙂.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 May 07
1 edit

Yah sure..
Here's 1 line that I'm confident gives black a substantial advantage (and fritz agrees).

1. g4, d5 2. Bg2, Bxg4

Looks good to me 🙂.
I you have read "Grob" threads in this forum more carefully then you should have read that after 1...d5 white can play 2.h3 with playable and equal position.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
09 May 07

I you have read "Grob" threads in this forum more carefully then you should have read that after 1...d5 white can play 2.h3 with playable and equal position.
Well, it's not good but yah, that's far more playable than giving up the pawn. I have nothing against that opening because ultimately you can pick at the center anyways. It's not best but it's a heck of a lot better than the gambit variation.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 May 07
1 edit

Well, it's not good but yah, that's far more playable than giving up the pawn. I have nothing against that opening because ultimately you can pick at the center anyways. It's not best but it's a heck of a lot better than the gambit variation.
What is "the best" ? I think it really depends on what kind of positions do you like to play and what kind of positions dislike your opponent.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
09 May 07
1 edit

What is "the best" ? I think it really depends on what kind of positions do you like to play and what kind of positions dislike your opponent.
yah that's a good point. I'm really one of those e4 or your game is lost players. Your right though... there's no saying that the grob isn't the best move because chess hasn't been 'solved'. It just looks illogical to me.

Edit - I just put a grob's gambit set piece in the open invites.. time to give this a try.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 May 07

yah that's a good point. I'm really one of those e4 or your game is lost players. Your right though... there's no saying that the grob isn't the best move because chess hasn't been 'solved'. It just looks illogical to me.

Edit - I just put a grob's gambit set piece in the open invites.. time to give this a try.
You have put position after 1.g4 d5 2.Bg2 Bxg4. but as I said white is not obliged to give g4 pawn which gives black better play. As I have mentioned I think that 2.h3 is better.