Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 29 Jun '08 04:48
    1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nc6

Just wanted to get feedback from others who may play this defense as black. Strengths, weaknesses, general ideas, etc....

Thanks!
  2. 29 Jun '08 04:57
    Just started fooling around with it. Easy for Black to misplace his Q early. Mostly, though, exceeds expectations.
  3. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    29 Jun '08 07:58
    Originally posted by luctruc
    Just started fooling around with it. Easy for Black to misplace his Q early. Mostly, though, exceeds expectations.
    yeah, the only time i played around with it on a board by myself i realized there were some tricks that made the opening a hidden gem.. i should really do some research on it..
    i only think theres 1 good book on it right?
  4. 29 Jun '08 09:09 / 1 edit
    I use to play it v The Reti players.

1.Nf3 Nc6 1.d4 d5 2.c4 - the blocking of the c-pawn in a QP game
    can be quite a drawback so try not think along QP lines.
    (that is the only theory I know on it).

Had OK results then realised I can play 1.Nf3 g6 instead and swing into a KID, Benoni,
    Pirc without having to worry about any of the sharp f4 lines.

Eddie Dearing had a beautiful win against The Chigorin in the
    English 4NCL. The game is on their site.
  5. 29 Jun '08 11:48
    It's all about pressure on the white centre. You'll often have to give up the bishop pair. In return you'll get active play in the centre. White often gets a big pawn centre but not without pawn weaknesses.

I like it because I beat a GM with it in a simul:

6. 29 Jun '08 15:28
    Thanks for the comments, I think I'm going to try it out OTB.

I also found this free E-book on the Chigorin at Silman's website:

http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_opng_anlys/chigorin_E_Book.html
  7. 30 Jun '08 09:59
    Originally posted by passedpawn22
    1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nc6

Just wanted to get feedback from others who may play this defense as black. Strengths, weaknesses, general ideas, etc....

Thanks!
    I have never actually played it though have seriously considered doing so. If you really learn it and understand it, I have the feeling you could score quite well with it, especially at lower levels where white may have problems dealing with the tactical possibilities in the opening. (Though I actually saw an IM recently being wiped out in less than 20 moves by a lower rated player as white against the Chigorin.)
  8. 30 Jun '08 18:59
    I have a lot of fun playing this opening. Mostly it's a tactical opening because Black puts a lot of pressure on White's d4 pawn and then attacks White's defenders. Sometimes the game takes on the character of an Albin's counter gambit or it can turn into a positional battle with the resulting ending of the two bishops (White) vs. the two knights (Black). Even rarer, through a faulty transposition of moves, Black can easily get an inferior game. I keep playing it because I hope one day to uncork a brilliancy like Chigorin himself, but I guess until then I will have to settle for games like this:

Game 4819358
  9. 30 Jun '08 21:21
    Free e-book on Silman's site (chessbase style).

http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_opng_anlys/chigorin_E_Book.html

Unfortunately I cannot comment on how good it is but I like the strategic explanations so far.
  10. 30 Jun '08 22:44 / 1 edit
    Super-GM Morovevich played the Tchigorin for many years, and has recently written a book about the opening.

IM Gary Lane recommends the Tchigorin in his book, Ideas Behind Modern Chess Openings: Black.

GM Keene and IM Levy also recommend the Tchigorin in their Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player (2nd ed.).