1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 22:27
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    My father complained that I didn't say "gardez la dame" when I attacked his queen and he didn't see it... That didn't keep me from taking it. 😛
    Did he complain when you didn't say "Gardez your rook?" or knight or even "Gardez your pion"?
  2. The sky
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 16:15
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    Its a sad day when you beat your father at chess.
    Why? He hadn't played for decades, so it wasn't really surprising.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 16:16
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Did he complain when you didn't say "Gardez your rook?" or knight or even "Gardez your pion"?
    I don't think there has ever been a tradition for that...
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 16:52
    I don't think there has ever been a tradition for that...
    I had a friend that I always warned him when I was going to take a piece from him. He couldn't always able to protect it, but he learned a lot from it.

In a café in Paris, I stumbled over some people having a good game of chess. They had somewhat different rules of chess, probably not sanctionned by FIDE. Instead of just check the king you have to say "Cheque au roi". And when you threattened the queen, you hade to say "Cheque à la dame". If you forgot it, then you couldnt take the queen, and the king could safely stay where it were.
    They also have the rule that in the first move, you could move one pawn two steps (as we can usually do), *or* move two pawns one step each (which was out of the ordinary, I'd say).
    I never new what other rules applied, I didn't know even if I could do 'en passant' or not.
    Well, we had fun...
  5. Joined
    24 Jan '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 02:52
    i wish people would start warning me...

:'(
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '08 00:45
    My father complained that I didn't say "gardez la dame" when I attacked his queen and he didn't see it... That didn't keep me from taking it. 😛
    According to my father, it was "grand prix" that I was supposed to say.
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '08 01:21
    hey colonel dax. did you get your name from "Paths of Glory"? Great Kubrick film.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree