Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 26 Sep '08 10:27
    Does anyone play the Orthodox Queen's Gambit anymore (masters or amateurs)? I play it some, but wondered if anyone else does. I play the Lasker and Tartakower variations too. I kind of like the Queen's Indian too. I use 1. d4 e6 (I play the French) 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 d5 / 3.Nf3 b6 sometimes.


    Another one that I like. Does anyone play the Dutch Stonewall (with Be7 or Bd6) anymore?
  2. Standard member black beetle
    Black Beastie
    26 Sep '08 10:32
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Does anyone play the Orthodox Queen's Gambit anymore (masters or amateurs)? I play it some, but wondered if anyone else does. I play the Lasker and Tartakower variations too. I kind of like the Queen's Indian too. I use 1. d4 e6 (I play the French) 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 d5 / 3.Nf3 b6 sometimes.


    Another one that I like. Does anyone play the Dutch Stonewall (with Be7 or Bd6) anymore?
    Hmmm, regarding the Dutch our friend Wulebgr has an idea or two I reckon
  3. 26 Sep '08 20:25 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Does anyone play the Orthodox Queen's Gambit anymore (masters or amateurs)? I play it some, but wondered if anyone else does. I play the Lasker and Tartakower variations too. I kind of like the Queen's Indian too. I use 1. d4 e6 (I play the French) 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 d5 / 3.Nf3 b6 sometimes.


    Another one that I like. Does anyone play the Dutch Stonewall (with Be7 or Bd6) anymore?
    Silman recommends the QGD setup as an easy repertoire for black vs 1.d4. Also, you can use the QGD setup against virtually anything except 1.e4. I also like the Tartakower variation.

    I think it has gone out of favor because it's very drawish and according to the Chessgames.com database black does not win very much (like..19percent). Grandmasters seem to opt for the more active King or Queen's indian defenses or the Slav or semi-slav, which can be very dynamic.

    I like it because it is a solid go-to defense when white springs something odd on you or if you don't have much experience or time to book up against 1.d4. At lower levels I believe chances are just as good as any other opening.
  4. 27 Sep '08 23:40
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Does anyone play the Orthodox Queen's Gambit anymore (masters or amateurs)? I play it some, but wondered if anyone else does. I play the Lasker and Tartakower variations too. I kind of like the Queen's Indian too. I use 1. d4 e6 (I play the French) 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 d5 / 3.Nf3 b6 sometimes.


    Another one that I like. Does anyone play the Dutch Stonewall (with Be7 or Bd6) anymore?
    I play it and in the OTB tourney's I play, many FM's and IM's also play it regularly. I also have Kasparov's How to Play The Queen's Gambit DVD in which he refers to the QGD as "the opening for the world championship matches". Capablanca vs. Alekhine WC consisted of virtually all QGD.

    I also like the Queen's Indian, although I'm not playing it for now to focus on QGD. Tartakower is good variation.
  5. 28 Sep '08 02:22
    Originally posted by jnguyen
    I play it and in the OTB tourney's I play, many FM's and IM's also play it regularly. I also have Kasparov's How to Play The Queen's Gambit DVD in which he refers to the QGD as "the opening for the world championship matches". Capablanca vs. Alekhine WC consisted of virtually all QGD.

    I also like the Queen's Indian, although I'm not playing it for now to focus on QGD. Tartakower is good variation.
    I saw a lot of Kasparov on the Queen's Gambit. Someone put it on youtube. The funny thing is that I was looking for a discussion of the Carlsbad structure, and that was the only line they didn't put up. The discussion was very nice. One day I was on the black side of a Bf4 line he discussed. The other player and I rattled out the entire line in 3 minute chess. After the game, I mentioned the video, and he said he saw it too. I went back and looked at that World Championship after watching it, as well.
  6. 28 Sep '08 02:59
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I saw a lot of Kasparov on the Queen's Gambit. Someone put it on youtube. The funny thing is that I was looking for a discussion of the Carlsbad structure, and that was the only line they didn't put up. The discussion was very nice. One day I was on the black side of a Bf4 line he discussed. The other player and I rattled out the entire line ...[text shortened]... it too. I went back and looked at that World Championship after watching it, as well.
    It's a great DVD, and you're pretty much obliged to watch if you want to add the QGD to your repertoire since every other QGD practitioner probably would have seen it! Carlsbad is an interesting variation and Kasparov shows some nice games. The Bf4 line has also become increasing popular these days.

    As an aside, I really hope Kasparov releases a series on the Meran System as he promised at the beginning of the QGD DVD. I face it alot playing 1. d4 as white and also wouldn't mind defending it as black.