Queen's Gambit..?

Queen's Gambit..?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
26 Apr 06

hey guys i'm back again and i have experimented with a number of chess games using the basic e4 opening, but recently i have heard people saying queen's gambit is really good and been seeing alot of this. Can anyone explain to me about this opening and why is it so powerful? I read around on the internet and it helps in development much faster and sacrifices the c pawn for control of center, can anyone tell me how the queen's gambit does that?

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by Demoz
hey guys i'm back again and i have experimented with a number of chess games using the basic e4 opening, but recently i have heard people saying queen's gambit is really good and been seeing alot of this. Can anyone explain to me about this opening and why is it so powerful? I read around on the internet and it helps in development much faster and sacrifices the c pawn for control of center, can anyone tell me how the queen's gambit does that?
I dont play the queens gambit, but in the QGA, if the black D pawn is exchanged for the white E pawn then white should get more central control, which basicly means the possibility of more space, better squares for the pieces and easier coordination.

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
26 Apr 06

i play mostly queens gambit, checkout some of my games. Although some may be dissapointing! - lol

M

Eternity

Moves
26 Apr 06

The idea behind the QG is to sacrifice a pawn in order for superior development and position, the pawn is almost impossible to hold onto if the sacrifice is accepted, so white is down a piece only temporarily.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by MarsII
The idea behind the QG is to sacrifice a pawn in order for superior development and position, the pawn is almost impossible to hold onto if the sacrifice is accepted, so white is down a piece only temporarily.
A pawn is not a piece.

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
26 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by MarsII
the pawn is almost impossible to hold onto if the sacrifice is accepted
sorry but I totally disagree, I regain the pawn about 90% of the time in the opening when the bishop is let loose...

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by onyx2006
sorry but I totally disagree, I regain the pawn about 90% of the time in the opening when the bishop is let loose...
You can't read. He is saying that black cannot hold the pawn. You are agreeing with him.

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
You can't read. He is saying that black cannot hold the pawn. You are agreeing with him.
i am wee tod did, i am sofa king wee tod did.

lol - sorry bout that!

4th stooge

anytown, USA

Moves
27 Apr 06

I highly recommend the book (its cheap too) Starting Out: Queens Gambit from Everyman publishers. It covers the basics of the many variations you might run into, and the posional ideas behind them. In fact, any of the Starting Out series is great when it comes to openings, though Silmans website does say the one on the French is spotty. Good luck- I open with e4, but I always have fun playing QGD as black- well... not always.