1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    07 Mar '12 13:19
    What if player A has 1 minute left on their clock and B has 2 seconds left and both players only have their King left on the board? Is this a draw or do both players move their King until player B's time runs out after which A has won? I say it's a draw (in this case I was B), my opponent says it's his win.
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    07 Mar '12 14:20
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    What if player A has 1 minute left on their clock and B has 2 seconds left and both players only have their King left on the board? Is this a draw or do both players move their King until player B's time runs out after which A has won? I say it's a draw (in this case I was B), my opponent says it's his win.
    Draw.

I am not readily familiar with the latest OTB rules, but I would say what you describe is a draw. When you timed out, he had no mating material.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    07 Mar '12 14:28
    I fact I had a King and Rook left and he only his King and I had about 2 minutes of time left but under minimal time pressure it is apparently difficult for me to checkmate with K&R. Finally I decided to let him take my Rook so that I could claim a draw.

Not my finest moment......
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Mar '12 20:52
    Some people an entire game in under 1 minute! You should have tried for the checkmate you had nothing to lose - if you failed and ran out of time then it is a draw. If he ran out of time you would win as you had material for a forced win.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    07 Mar '12 21:10
    I tried to checkmate him for a while, but found I was loosing a lot of time thinking and even got below his clock. That's when I figured I needed to loose my rook otherwise I would have lost on time. If that makes sense........

Need to practice K+R checkmates.
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    07 Mar '12 22:36
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I tried to checkmate him for a while, but found I was loosing a lot of time thinking and even got below his clock. That's when I figured I needed to loose my rook otherwise I would have lost on time. If that makes sense........

Need to practice K+R checkmates.
    Ya would have been a draw if you ran out of time, so it was worth the try to checkmate him. Now you know. Also, I learned a long time ago to be able to checkmate with a K+R vs K with ease. As you indicate, it is an important checkmate to learn.

Alot of times when I played blitz and had a K+p vs K, for example, and advanced my pawn to 8th rank, I would get a rook instead of queen, so not to have to worry about a stupid inadvertent stalemate. And then would check mate easily. Maybe a couple of more moves than with a queen, but a checkmate nevertheless.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree