1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 12:05
    Is dragging out a lost position to the bitter end frowned upon?
  2. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 12:15
    By some and not others.

Personally, once there is no opportunity for even asking the opponent to demonstrate technique then it is certainly time to resign. This is particulalry true if the opponent then also suddenly spends the maximum time between moves.

As you say though, it is etiquette and they have the right to play to the end and use all their time, but they would not be playing me again.
  3. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 12:18
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Depends on how lost the position is.

toet.
  4. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 14:10
    My friend was playing a tournament game with a player rated around 2000 in a tournament this weekend.

The game devolved to a Bishop vs. Rook endgame.

The 2000 player informed my friend that the endgame was theoretically drawn.

My friend informed the 2000 guy that he'd like to play it out anyway.

My friend used his rook to force the guy's king to the back rank, and he resigned to avoid mate.

The point is, there is a big difference between theory and practice.

Chess is mistakes, and several times a lost position becomes a won one.

I say as a rule of thumb, if you see no hope in the position no matter what, then save your time.

But if you see a position where there is no hope only if your opponent plays perfectly, then play on.
  5. Joined
    07 Apr '10
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 14:55
    Had a rook vs bishop end game. My opponent, with the bishop, offered a draw several times insisting that the game was drawn. I wasn't sure, to be honest, but I had opposition and was slowly driving his king to the back of the board. I went on to win. Is this position drawn if the player with the bishop plays perfectly?
    Game 7687459

I'll resign if I know I've lost. There was another thread on this subject where the winning player gets revenge by drawing out the victory himself. Some amusing games with pawns promoting to knights.
  6. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 15:12
    The position where he resigned is a mate in 7 for black.
  7. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 15:30
    Sometimes I am down in material and I slow down. Not because I want to drag on the game, but I make an extra effort to see if I can get out of it. There have been times the extra effort had paid off (especially if the opponent doesn't have a much higher rating than me).

I don't get annoyed if opponents take their time (regardless of position), as they are playing well within the rules. I will show no mercy in claiming a timeout though if I do not know the person.
  8. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 15:48
    Originally posted by Darax The Good
    Had a rook vs bishop end game. My opponent, with the bishop, offered a draw several times insisting that the game was drawn. I wasn't sure, to be honest, but I had opposition and was slowly driving his king to the back of the board. I went on to win. Is this position drawn if the player with the bishop plays perfectly?
    Game 7687459

I'll r ...[text shortened]... enge by drawing out the victory himself. Some amusing games with pawns promoting to knights.
    Nalimov tablebases say:

at move 61 black wins
    at move 67 draw
    at move 76 black wins

toet.
  9. Joined
    13 Jul '10
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 17:062 edits
    If the king had headed for h1 (the corner of opposite colour to the bishop) when it had the chance, it would've been a fairly easy draw - defending it yourself against an engine (with that idea in mind) is a pretty useful exercise
  10. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 17:27
    I think one should resign when its hopeless.

I also think players should not be able to agree to a draw. They should have to play it out until someone wins or it is drawn becuase checkmate is impossible.
  11. Standard memberDer Bayer
    The Silver Hammer
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 17:30
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Just out of curiosity, how many threads have been created addressing this topic?

I've seen this topic come up about once every two months or so since joining RHP.

This is not meant to criticize the current thread in any way, it's just that I wonder how much information is repeated.
  12. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 18:05
    Its like talking about the weather each day is another chance to say ooh its a nice day again today.
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 18:32
    Originally posted by Der Bayer
    Just out of curiosity, how many threads have been created addressing this topic?

I've seen this topic come up about once every two months or so since joining RHP.

This is not meant to criticize the current thread in any way, it's just that I wonder how much information is repeated.
    I've never seen a thread dedicated to this subject. I did see one thread from an... "eccentric" member essentially saying, "Never resign! Always play to the bitter end you coward!" but I didn't pay it much mind.
  14. e4
    Moves
    14 Sep '10 18:541 edit
    There has been at least 10 I've taken part in.

No problem, if you have missed them, you have missed them

Here is I think may be the very first on the site from 2003
    (though I suspect there is another one before then).

Thread 3486

If you go right back to the very start of the this Chess forum...

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/threadlist.php?forumid=9&page=475

....and work your way forward.

You will find threads and posts are often repeated.

On the the second page there are 11 threads dedicated to openings
    and two threads on computers. Seems just like yesterday.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree