1. Joined
    11 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 00:28
    I've got a quick question. I appologize if it's been asked before, but I don't read these forums very often and don't feel like reading back over all the old threads. I know that technically, the rules state that you can promote a pawn to whatever piece you want(besides a king of course) but I'm wondering why anyone would ever want to promote to anything besides a queen? I may be missing something, but I just can't see any advantage to choosing anything besides a queen. Seems like it should just be automatic.....pawn on 8th rank = queen. Is there a reason why its even an option?
    Also, just out of curiosity, has anyone here ever accidentally promoted to the wrong piece? That would piss me off if I lost a game becuase of a wrong mouse click.
  2. Joined
    03 Jan '09
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 00:351 edit
    In some positions promoting to a Knight can checkmate your opponent on that very move, whereas a Queen can't.
  3. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 00:39
    Originally posted by Bostonsux81
    I've got a quick question. I appologize if it's been asked before, but I don't read these forums very often and don't feel like reading back over all the old threads. I know that technically, the rules state that you can promote a pawn to whatever piece you want(besides a king of course) but I'm wondering why anyone would ever want to promote to anythi ...[text shortened]... o the wrong piece? That would piss me off if I lost a game becuase of a wrong mouse click.
    I had a game once where promoting to a queen would have given my opponent a stalemate, so I promoted to a rook instead.
  4. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 00:401 edit
    99.999999999% of the time you want the Q. As mentioned the Kt might mate on the move, but this may exist only in chess textbooks as opposed to OTB. One possible situation is the Q will stalemate your opponent, so you take the Rook, but this just might be fantasy too. 😛

edit: Too slow typing. 😳
  5. Joined
    03 Jan '09
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 00:43
    Some people might find it funny to checkmate with 6 bishops 🙂. (not sure what the maximum number of bishops is without causing mate / stalemate tho)
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 00:44
    Also there might be some cases where promoting to a queen would stalemate your opponent; If you're hoping to win the game, underpromoting would avoid stalemate.
  7. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 00:44
    under promotion as it is often called , can be useful if by promoting to a queen produces stalemate ,where promoting to another piece does not give your opponent a draw by stalemate.----------😉
  8. e4
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 00:49
    Never tire of showing this one.

One of my favourite games - sadly it's not one of mine.

9. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 00:49
    I remember a game between Shirov and Aronian where Shirov promoted to a knight to block a mate. Obviously a rather rare case.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 00:502 edits
    I'm wondering why anyone would ever want to promote to anything besides a queen?
    One of the great chess puzzles of all time:

White to play and win
    [/b]

(republished from Thread 72390, but don't look there if you want to try to figure it out yourself)
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 01:45
    here's a beauty, played between crafty(engine) and nakamura:

12. Joined
    11 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 03:00
    Thanks for posting these games guys. My question has been answered. It's humbling actually. Shows how little I really know about this game.

What's up with that last one though? Why did he promote to all nights like that? Was he trying to humiliate the computer or something cause it didn't resign? lol
  13. Garner, NC
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 03:26
    I've actually seen a real game between masters in the chess literature where it was essential to promote to a bishop to win. Unfortunately it was not found in the game, but someone analyzing it later found that a bishop promotion was the key.

If I find it again, I'll post it.

It's much easier to imagine valid reasons to promote to Rook or Knight.
  14. Joined
    11 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 04:57
    Originally posted by techsouth
    I've actually seen a real game between masters in the chess literature where it was essential to promote to a bishop to win. Unfortunately it was not found in the game, but someone analyzing it later found that a bishop promotion was the key.

If I find it again, I'll post it.

It's much easier to imagine valid reasons to promote to Rook or Knight.
    How can that be? A queen has the same moves as a bishop? If you you find the game, please post it cause I can't visualize a senario where this is possible.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 04:59
    How can that be? A queen has the same moves as a bishop? If you you find the game, please post it cause I can't visualize a senario where this is possible.
    Sometimes promoting to a queen either causes a stalemate or allows the opponent to force a stalemate. Because a bishop covers less ground, it's less likely to give a stalemate.

The answer to the puzzle I posted above contains a necessary under promotion to a bishop.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree