1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    18 Nov '11 04:05
    I clicked to enter this one -

http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/view.php?tid=13078

It's titled, "The Patriots defeat of Charles Cornwallis 2011 - 1350 and below"

I'm unranked in real life, but my RHP rating is quite a bit more than that and I didn't notice this when I clicked to enter it. There is one player I'm up against who's also rated higher, at 1427. Right now mine is like 1550.

Is it OK that I'm in this? I don't want to be unfair to the other players.
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    18 Nov '11 04:37
    yes, your rating is high for the tournament; but, you are in it. the only thing you can do that is really "fair" is play well. you may win, but they also win with good chess games. You can "even" the tournament by offering draws to all. and when some don't take draws, you could resign the second game with each player after you've won the first one. that would give you an even score with every other player in the tournament. there aren't any "ratings police" watching fair players who do that sort of thing. Otherwise, the "cheaters" are the ones who artificially lower their ratings to get into tournaments and beat up lower rated players for the strange glory of winning nothing in weak tournaments. go figure.
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    18 Nov '11 13:21
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper

It's titled, "The Patriots defeat of Charles Cornwallis 2011 - [b]1350 and below
    "

I'm unranked in real life, but my RHP rating is quite a bit more than that and I didn't notice this when I clicked to enter it. There is one player I'm up against who' ...[text shortened]... ke 1550.

Is it OK that I'm in this? I don't want to be unfair to the other players.[/b]
    This is one of the problems with starting private tournaments via clubs, it is your club rating, not your site rating that determines entry.

Just play the games as normal, you have done nothing wrong.
  4. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    18 Nov '11 22:551 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    This is one of the problems with starting private tournaments via clubs, it is your club rating, not your site rating that determines entry.

Just play the games as normal, you have done nothing wrong.
    I wish it were that simple, I have a 1600 club MUTI rate and a 2100'ish 'general site' rating ( Edit: 2198 TER I now note )..I can still enter ANY club banded affair that I wish. I was hoping this had changed due to pressure in 'site ideas' so just to prove a point to myself, I entered an '0-1375' and then a '1700-1975' tournament. No problem on both occasions, I then withdrew.
    For you perusal, one of numerous threads but this is taken from Site Ideas alone: Thread 141130
  5. Subscriberroma45online
    st johnstone
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 10:21
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper

It's titled, "The Patriots defeat of Charles Cornwallis 2011 - [b]1350 and below
    "

I'm unranked in real life, but my RHP rating is quite a bit more than that and I didn't notice this when I clicked to enter it. There is one player I'm up against who' ...[text shortened]... ke 1550.

Is it OK that I'm in this? I don't want to be unfair to the other players.[/b]
    best thing to do is ask the low rated players if they are happy with you in the tournament. most will be if its a one off mistake, us "lowbies" realy hate a realy high rated player cleaning up in easy tournaments (for them) i would play to a finish if i were you as you are not that far away in ratings, i have seen 1800 enter under 1200, i am looking for a under 700 tournament to enter. lol😀😀
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    19 Nov '11 11:28
    Thanks for the input, guys. Based on the feedback I think I'm just going to play it out as usual. There's already at least one guy rated in the 1400's. For all I know there could be someone else in the 1500's that I haven't faced yet. And if not, I'm not so high that an upset isn't possible. That would make a sweeter victory if someone pulls it off, even if that would suck for me. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree