1. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 May '10 08:031 edit
    I have noticed that with white to move in the following position:

white hardly ever plays 7. Bd3 at the higher levels in this position. Why is that? Though perhaps contrary to some ideas in the dragon, it seems like a playable move to me.
  2. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    06 May '10 08:231 edit
    It's playable in that it doesn't lose immediately and doesn't make things significantly worse for White ...

but perhaps a better question is - what does Bd3 achieve?

I don't see any advantages of playing Bd3. It doesn't, for example, help with the plan of exchanging Black's strong bishop on g7.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 May '10 08:28
    I see. So essentially, Bd3 is a wasted move?
  4. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 May '10 08:381 edit
    Originally posted by amolv06
    d3 is not the best square for that bishop, you want to play f3 to get rid of the nasty Ng4 which is really akward to meet, you want that bishop to stay on e3.

d3 is a bad square because the knight on d4 can get pretty loose without the queen protecting it and sometimes black can move the Nf6 and make a discovered attack with his bishop against the d4 square.

I would go Ng4 against Bd3 in that position, your bishop has to stay put because it is the sole protector of your knight and next move I take your dark squared bishop.
  5. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    06 May '10 11:29
    With a classical pawn formation, h7 is the weakest point in black's defences. So a bishop on the b1/h7 diagonal is often a good idea. But with Indian setups, f7 is weaker than h7. So white attacking f7 with the bishop is more logical. So some master bloke told me 😏
  6. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    06 May '10 11:52
    Hmm well I would try out ...Ng4 and ...Nc6 for black.

Other moves make Bd3 look fine.

I would be tempted to play ...Nc6 since it looks developmentally good.
    Black`s ...Nc6 might prevent an immediate o-o since black might be threatening ...Nxe4.

I play ...Nc6.
    OK your move.
    See if you can find a good answer to blacks plan of ...Nxe4.
  7. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    06 May '10 13:01
    Originally posted by amolv06
    Perhaps "wasted" is a little strong but certainly it misplaces the piece. I suppose since the bishop would then have to move to another square later on you could say it had wasted a tempo.

It seems to me that the bishop is much better placed on c4 or e2 than d3.

This is an example, I think, of a move that strong players don't play not because it's terrible but because it's obviously inferior to alternatives ... in this case f2-f3 or Be2
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 May '10 16:20
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    It's playable in that it doesn't lose immediately and doesn't make things significantly worse for White ...

but perhaps a better question is - what does Bd3 achieve?

I don't see any advantages of playing Bd3. It doesn't, for example, help with the plan of exchanging Black's strong bishop on g7.
    Well stated. The bishop has no future on that diagonal (for the same reason Colle players avoid Bd3 against the King's Indian and Gruenfeld), and it interferes with the Queen's control/reinforcement of the d4 square.

It would (and often does) have a better future on e2 or c4.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 May '10 21:45
    Thank you all for the excellent explanations!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree