1. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 20:04
    I was looking at the Berlin Defence of the Ruy Lopez (1.e4 e5 2.N3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6), where the main line goes 4.0-0 Nxe4 5.d4 Nd6 ... However, I was wondering why Black doesn't go greedy by 5.exd4. I did some sort of research, but I haven't found any clue why this move is bad. I do know that White gets an attack, but I found that accurate play should let Black be able to survive, as the White attack is not necessarily forced.

Any comment? Anyone willing to clarify this?
  2. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 20:19
    Originally posted by badivan1
    I was looking at the Berlin Defence of the Ruy Lopez (1.e4 e5 2.N3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6), where the main line goes 4.0-0 Nxe4 5.d4 Nd6 ... However, I was wondering why Black doesn't go greedy by 5.exd4. I did some sort of research, but I haven't found any clue why this move is bad. I do know that White gets an attack, but I found that accurate play should let Blac ...[text shortened]... as the White attack is not necessarily forced.

After 5 ..exd4 6. Re1 pins the knight to the king, also you are opening the center before castling, kind of asking for a world of trouble. If you enjoy defending...
  3. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 20:24
    I've played that line a few times as black.
    It's because of the pinning move 6.Re1.
    It's playable though, after 6...d5, 7.Nxd4...Bd7.
    I'm sure I have a game in progress or one I recently finished with it.
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 20:24
    Originally posted by badivan1
    I was looking at the Berlin Defence of the Ruy Lopez (1.e4 e5 2.N3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6), where the main line goes 4.0-0 Nxe4 5.d4 Nd6 ... However, I was wondering why Black doesn't go greedy by 5.exd4. I did some sort of research, but I haven't found any clue why this move is bad. I do know that White gets an attack, but I found that accurate play should let Blac ...[text shortened]... as the White attack is not necessarily forced.

Its risky, but playable line - but you must know these sharp lines very well, if you wanna play it.
  5. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 23:54
    Originally posted by Korch
    Its risky, but playable line - but you must know these sharp lines very well, if you wanna play it.
    nice avatar Korch 🙂
  6. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 04:29
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    nice avatar Korch 🙂
    It`s me 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree