1. Joined
    07 Jan '10
    Moves
    03 Feb '10 10:27
    I was recently away and forgot the length of one of my games being short, and when I returned the game is down as a loss. What confuses me is that as he had only a king, and I had a king and queen, shouldn't these situations count as a draw, as if this happened OTB it is a draw through no mating material?
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '10 10:302 edits
    Guess who had similar problems

Game 4885012 why did I lose the game? Sure, time ran out, but isn't there a rule that when you have your king solo on the board you can't possibly claim a win?
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '10
    Moves
    03 Feb '10 10:41
    I am sure it has happened to quite a few people Heinzcat, but is it a rule specific to RHP, or correspondence chess in general? It just seemed odd to me. If it has been answered/discussed before, do you have a link to the thread. Thanks.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '10 10:481 edit
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Guess who had similar problems

Game 4885012 why did I lose the game? Sure, time ran out, but isn't there a rule that when you have your king solo on the board you can't possibly claim a win?
  5. The Smoke
    Moves
    03 Feb '10 10:49
    Originally posted by randomsac
    I am sure it has happened to quite a few people Heinzcat, but is it a rule specific to RHP, or correspondence chess in general? It just seemed odd to me. If it has been answered/discussed before, do you have a link to the thread. Thanks.
    it has, indeed, been discussed in various threads before... but with no RHP admin feedback as far as I can recall, so no point going back and reading them.
  6. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '10 10:50
    It happens to be our friend's first post on the RHP forums

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=94159&page=1#post_1770931

Thread 94159
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 Feb '10 23:00
    it's a flaw in the RHP code. I've had it happen to me as well.
  8. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 05:34
    It's not a flaw. The game was lost because player1 did not move within the time limit. The issue of 'mating material' with player2 is irrelevant. Player1 used his time to obtain a material advantage but 'lost on the clock' to player2.

Play to the time controls or you lose - its that simple and it doesn't need to be changed. It's the same in OTB at club level so harden up.

skeets
  9. Joined
    22 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 06:15
    I was under the impression that in OTB, if your time runs out but your opponent doesn't have sufficient mating material the game is considered a draw, even at club level.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 06:172 edits
    Originally posted by jekeckel
    I was under the impression that in OTB, if your time runs out but your opponent doesn't have sufficient mating material the game is considered a draw, even at club level.
    In OTB it can very well be so.
    But this is correspondence chess. Both players has agreed to the time limits. Then it doesn't matter what the material is left when one of the players brakes the agreement. When skulled one player wins and the other loses. A draw-skull doesn't exist.
    This is the (de facto) rules here at RHP.
  11. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 06:31
    Originally posted by jekeckel
    ...then you are obviously under the wrong impression. Down here in Gods own, ( Aotearoa for the rest of the planet ) we play to the clock. When that little flag falls you're gone - no matter six queens/king against king - it's lost. End of game.

skeets
  12. Joined
    22 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Feb '10 06:45
    It must depend on the organization, I guess. I think that the rules of FIDE and USCF are different.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree