Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member spiritmangr8ness
    Doh!!! Or--Are--I
    11 Nov '07 15:16
    What would be the purpose of resigning two games in the third round of a tournament to the highest rated player in the third round without making the first move? It appears that this gives the highest rated player in the tournament a 6 point advantage before the first move of any other opponents. The first time I have seen this. Is this being fair to the other players? Are you playing chess or politics! WTF!
  2. 12 Nov '07 01:11
    Originally posted by spiritmangr8ness
    What would be the purpose of resigning two games in the third round of a tournament to the highest rated player in the third round without making the first move? It appears that this gives the highest rated player in the tournament a 6 point advantage before the first move of any other opponents. The first time I have seen this. Is this being fair to the other players? Are you playing chess or politics! WTF!
    maybe the resigning player had more important issues to deal with.
  3. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    12 Nov '07 01:12
    when i go to a tournament...either online or a real one.

    I WORRY ABOUT ME WINNING. i care not for anyone else.

    Just win all yer games and you will fine.
  4. Standard member Red Night
    RHP Prophet
    12 Nov '07 01:51
    Originally posted by spiritmangr8ness
    What would be the purpose of resigning two games in the third round of a tournament to the highest rated player in the third round without making the first move? It appears that this gives the highest rated player in the tournament a 6 point advantage before the first move of any other opponents. The first time I have seen this. Is this being fair to the other players? Are you playing chess or politics! WTF!
    I agree with you that this was bad sportsmanship.

    The player in question seems to have resigned because of the 7-800 point rating difference with his opponent.
  5. 12 Nov '07 06:32 / 1 edit
    Tournament 1972

    It doesnt look that great on a 2100+ players profile that he won 1400-1500 tournaments anyway. It kind of reminds me of that film "the ringer".
  6. Standard member wargamer66
    Steve B.
    12 Nov '07 07:50
    Originally posted by spiritmangr8ness
    What would be the purpose of resigning two games in the third round of a tournament to the highest rated player in the third round without making the first move? It appears that this gives the highest rated player in the tournament a 6 point advantage before the first move of any other opponents. The first time I have seen this. Is this being fair to the other players? Are you playing chess or politics! WTF!
    Bleh, your tournament is already royally screwed up because a 2100 is playing in it. That is the fundamental unfairness, not some schmuck resigning because he has no chance.

    Watch out, he resigned those games so that he can concentrate on beating you, so look sharp
  7. 12 Nov '07 07:54
    Originally posted by Red Night
    I agree with you that this was bad sportsmanship.

    The player in question seems to have resigned because of the 7-800 point rating difference with his opponent.
    His real strength is somewhere between 1650-1700 though so there is really only a 4-500 rating difference.
  8. Standard member spiritmangr8ness
    Doh!!! Or--Are--I
    12 Nov '07 18:42
    Originally posted by wargamer66
    Bleh, your tournament is already royally screwed up because a 2100 is playing in it. That is the fundamental unfairness, not some schmuck resigning because he has no chance.

    Watch out, he resigned those games so that he can concentrate on beating you, so look sharp
    Thanks everybody for the feedback..........Any given Sunday!!!! I'm a good sport; even though we got sandbaged. Will do my best!