1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 19:451 edit
    Because of technology and possibility of cheating is it illegal to listen to music while you play chess in an official fide tournament? I find I play much better while listening to some good music.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 22:22
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Because of technology and possibility of cheating is it illegal to listen to music while you play chess in an official fide tournament? I find I play much better while listening to some good music.
    Now days I think it would look suspicious. You would have to check with the tournament director to see if he would allow it.
  3. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 23:06
    My pupils in school say that they work better when they listen to music but it's not true.

Many years ago my son (a very strong chess player) said the same about music and working / playing chess so I set up a little experiment (which is not totally scientific).

He played 25 blitz games on ICC whilst listening to music and 25 without music. His rating performance with music was 100-200 less than without...!

I also know from experience that when pupils do work that requires some thought the results with music are far worse.!!
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 23:08
    I used to listen to music while I played years ago. I always had people complaining it was too loud. 😕
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 23:19
    Originally posted by kingshill
    My pupils in school say that they work better when they listen to music but it's not true.

Many years ago my son (a very strong chess player) said the same about music and working / playing chess so I set up a little experiment (which is not totally scientific).

He played 25 blitz games on ICC whilst listening to music and 25 without music. His rati ...[text shortened]... nce that when pupils do work that requires some thought the results with music are far worse.!!
    This may be a case of him concentrating more on the music than the task. I find music that I listen to often makes my world "more silent" whereas the noises in the tournament hall are more distracting. I think music also awakens my creativity a bit more... I have been listening to music while playing on chess.com and have rose to my highest rating ever in live play.
  6. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 03:11
    "My pupils in school say that they work better when they listen to music but it's not true."

Agree - I teach chess at an all girls private school and boy do they love to talk while playing amongst themselves. I think a 100-200 lvl drop is probably true...although it certainly looks like a drop of a least one class (approx 300 points). Their level of concentration is much higher when forced to play in a real match.
  7. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 06:45
    It depends on what's going on.

I play my best in a perfectly quiet room, but if I am playing around some snot-nosed chair-dragging, sniffling, restive junior player, I'm putting in my headphones. For my mental balance and their physical safety.
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 08:39
    A little bit of Jethro Tull or even Beethoven worked great before a difficult tournament game.😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree