Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 24 Jun '06 07:17
    Okay, ranks are the diagonal rows on the board and files are the vertical rows. Is that right?
  2. 24 Jun '06 08:02
    Originally posted by Harry00
    Okay, ranks are the diagonal rows on the board and files are the vertical rows. Is that right?
    Nope it's not right. Ranks are horizontal (1st rank, 2nd rank, 3rd rank,etc) files are vertical (a-file, b-file, c-file, etc) and diagonals are diagonal (a1-h8 diagonal, a2-g8 diagonal, etc).
  3. 24 Jun '06 08:11
    Thanks. I thought I was wrong and, as usual, I was.
  4. 24 Jun '06 08:38
    Just a thought: Any realation to rank and file on chess board and rank and file in labor?
  5. 24 Jun '06 22:25
    Originally posted by Harry00
    Just a thought: Any realation to rank and file on chess board and rank and file in labor?
    "Rank and file" is a military image, referring to the ordinary soldiers who would, in times past, march and fight in rectangular formations. The cannon fodder, as opposed to the officers.
  6. 24 Jun '06 22:55
    Originally posted by Harry00
    Thanks. I thought I was wrong and, as usual, I was.
    But there, you were right.
  7. 25 Jun '06 04:42
    I remember files because of how the drawers in filing cabinets come out. Works for me.